Chapter 19

Socials, as always, was very interesting. Today in class, they learned about the loyalists and how they were chased out of their homes in the USA for being loyal to the king of England and then had to make new homes and new lives in Canada. Harriet was so fascinated and wished class would never end.

But of course class did end, so Harriet got up and walked out of class and headed towards the cafeteria.

When she arrived, she saw Sarah was already there talking with James. Harriet walked over to the table and sat down.

"Hey Harriet!" James says.

"Hey, I see you've met Sarah," Harriet said as she pointed towards Sarah.

James turned and faced Sarah. "Is that your name? I always thought it was Elizabeth," he questioned.

Sarah let out a little laugh and then smiled. "Elizabeth is my middle name."

"Really? Then why have I been calling you Elizabeth this whole time?" James asked with a surprised expression.

"Wait. You two know each other already? I didn't know that," interrupted Harriet, surprised by the revelation.

"Yea," replied Sarah, "we're in the same gym class. And James, I think why you've been calling me Elizabeth this whole time is because before I came here, all of my friends called me Elizabeth, or Eliza for short. But here, the teachers would call me Sarah. One of my old friends must have told you my name. I guess that's why you know me as Elizabeth."

A pause of silence falls over the table before one finally speaks again. It is James, asking what is our favourite book.

"Oh, definitely The Fault In Our Stars! I just love that book!" Harriet said with a big smile on her face. "Have you read it Sarah?"

"Indeed I have. And it's a wonderful book and I do love it very much. But I don't think it's my favourite. A very close second though. My favourite book would probably have to be If I Stay," answered Sarah. Looking over at James, they awaited his answer. After a few more moments of silence, James finally spoke. "I think my favourite book is Persuasion. By Jane Austen. I find that story so interesting,"

Harriet and Sarah both looked at each other and then as if they had read each other's mind, they both exclaimed "Wonderful!" at the exact same time. Then they both burst into laughter.

They kept talking until the bell rang to signify the end of lunch. Harriet, James and Sarah all got up and cleared off their table.

+ + +

Harriet was returning to her locker after French class. Class was always the same. They studied verb tenses and did grammar exercises for the whole class. Harriet loved the French language and she enjoyed speaking it, just not studying it.

When Harriet reached her locker she saw James there talking with Sarah. Watching them, Harriet got this weird feeling inside of her. Not sure of what it was, she went back to opening her locker and she grabbed her Science books. Then she walked over to Sarah's locker, avoiding Sebastian as best she could. Though he saw her, he just went on with his own business. As Harriet reached Sarah's locker, she could hear parts of their conversation. When she heard her name being mentioned, she interrupted them.

"What are you talking about?" Harriet asked.

"Oh hi. I was just asking James the story of how you two met," Sarah responded as the bell rang. "Well, I'd better get to class now. Don't want to be late for gym. Talk later Harriet, bye!"

"How about I walk with you to the gym since I'm headed there as well," James asked as he offered his hand like the gentlemen in a Jane Austen novel. Sarah laughed, then smiled. She placed her arm over his and they walked away toward the gym leaving Harriet all by herself.

What is this feeling I'm feeling? Harriet thought as she made her way to the science lab for class. It wasn't until she reached the doors of the lab that she realized it was jealousy. Finally understanding, she went to her seat and sat down.

She was jealous of James and Sarah.