Chapter 18

The next day in math class, the same thing happened. Harriet got caught up in her work and didn't realize the bell had rung until Sarah tapped her on the shoulder. "Class is over Harriet. You'd better pack up or else you'll be late for your next class. Which is what, speaking of?" Sarah asked in her soft voice.

"Socials," replied Harriet as she was putting her books away. She noticed Sarah was still there. "Shouldn't you get to class too?" she asked as she rose from her seat.

"Yes, but I can be a bit late," stated Sarah, "I have music next. And Mr. Sanders doesn't notice. I was just waiting for you."

"Well, that's very nice of you. Thank you." Harriet said as she and Sarah walked out of class together.

As they walked through the hallway, Harriet saw someone leaning against her locker. Unsure of who it was, she asked Sarah.

"I think it's Sebastian," replied Sarah, "If you'd like Harriet I can ask him to move. I know what happened between you two. And I'm so very sorry about it."

Harriet smiled. "Please do. I really don't feel like talking to him. Not after last time."

"Last time? What happened last time, if you don't mind my asking?"

"Nothing much," Harriet started, "He just wanted to talk. So I let him and he told me he was sorry and how he still loves me and is there any possibility of getting back together. Which I told him no of course."

"I understand. And why should he have you back? Not with the way he treated you. He doesn't deserve you. Well, I'd better get him away from there so you're not late," Sarah said. Then she was gone. It was only a matter of seconds before Harriet saw Sebastian walking off. Sarah smiled and gave Harriet a thumbs up.

As Harriet opened her locker, she noticed Sarah walk to the end of the section of lockers and open the locker at the very end.

Harriet grabbed her books and binders then shut the locker door. Then she walked over to Sarah and asked if she had always had this locker.

"I don't recall seeing you around here before," Harriet said.

"Yes, well I've been here for half of the year already. I changed lockers in January. I guess it's because I'm so quiet that you didn't notice me," Sarah replied.

"Oh. Well it's nice to finally know someone here. I'm glad. Would you like me to walk with you to class? I'm going in the same direction for Socials."

"That'd be very nice. Thanks!"

As they walked towards the music room, Sarah asked Harriet what she listened to in math that caused her to disappear from the world.

"I listen to all kinds of artists, though I like Taylor Swift the most," Harriet responded.

"Really?! I love Taylor Swift as well! What do you like about her? For me it's her songs. Well, her lyrics to be more specific. The meanings." Sarah said.

"Yes! I do love that very much! But I think what I admire most is how even after so many years, if you pay close attention, she's the exact same girl she was when she first started out. I also admire how much she cares about her fans," Harriet explained.

"Yes, same. Well here's the music room. I'll talk to you later then? Bye!" Sarah said.

"Of course," Harriet exclaimed, "How about you come and eat lunch with us today! Then we can talk some more. How does that sound?"

"Wonderful. Who's the us?"

"Oh, my friend James. You don't mind do you?" Harriet asked.

"Of course not. I'll see you then." Sarah replied. Then she walked into the music room and Harriet continued on towards Socials class.