Chapter 12

The months passed quickly, and soon it was spring. Harriet was in English class and their teacher Ms. Solmer was making the class discuss whether it was out of love or out of fear that Romeo and Juliet took their own lives. Harriet couldn't focus much since the day Tian told her he loved her. Ever since, they said it constantly to each other: 'I love you'.

Things between them were going pretty smoothly. That was until a few weeks ago when Harriet called Tian to see if he wanted to hang out and he said he couldn't. He told her he had to go to work and he'd be there until late. And when she'd be talking to him in the halls at school, he didn't seem to be paying much attention to their conversation. Or to her for that matter. He always seemed too busy to hang out with her these days.

Harriet was starting to get a little worried, so when school ended, she headed over to her bench at the park. When she arrived, she saw none other but Sebastian. She was just about to call out to him when suddenly she heard another voice. At that moment, Harriet froze where she stood.

Peaking through the trees to see where the voice came from, Harriet could see, sitting beside Tian on the bench—their bench, to make matters worse—was a girl!

"Maybe she's a cousin visiting or an old friend," Harriet tried to tell herself.

But then she saw it. Tian leaning in close to the girl and KISSING her! And not some little peck-on-the-cheek kind of kiss, but a full on mouth to mouth kiss!

Anger rose up inside her, and before she knew what she was doing, she found herself standing in front of Tian, yelling at him. Tears were starting to fall as Harriet ran off toward her house. Just as she reached her street she felt a hand tug her back and spin her around.

"It's not what it looks like Ri! She came onto me, and I tried to pull away but she wasn't letting me! It's not my fault! Please forg-"

"Forgive you?! How can I forgive you! And don't EVER call me Ri again! From what I saw, it didn't look like she came on to you. It looked more like you came onto her and kissed her!" Harriet yelled back. "You expect me to forgive you after that? I don't think so. Or at least not now anyway! Leave alone from now on. We're through! It's over between us! And don't come after me. I don't wanna talk to you!"

The few tears that were being held back at the beginning, were now coming down like a rainstorm. With the thunder of anger every so often.

+ + +

Once in her room, Harriet went through what had just happened. She figured this girl he was with was the reason he was too busy to hang out and why he hadn't been paying much attention to her. Harriet fell asleep with these thoughts haunting her mind.

When she woke up, her mom was sitting at the end of Harriet's bed, a worried look on her face.

"What is the matter sweetheart? Is everything alright? Are you all right? Please tell me."

With a hushed voice, she told her mom the whole story.

"Oh, baby! My sweet baby girl, I can't believe he did that to you! You deserve much better than him. I'm so sorry honey," her mom says, attempting to comfort her. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

"No, I think I just need sleep right now. It's been a rough day."

"Of course sweetie! I'll let you sleep. I love you, don't you ever forget that Harriet."

"Thanks mom, I love you too."

Her mom left Harriet's room and shut the door behind her. Harriet, filled with mixed emotions, lay down on her bed. Her breathing steadied and her eyes gave way. Harriet would have a dreamless night.