Chapter 20

Science seemed to go one forever, but when the bell finally rang, Harriet rushed out of class. She put her books in her bag and grabbed it out of her locker and headed to meet James at his car. As she approached, she saw James and Sarah talking again. "Sarah must have walked with him to the car after gym," Harriet whispered to herself, jealousy filling her from head to toe.

"I believe in you James," Harriet heard Sarah say, "Remember what you said to me and-"

"Hey guys," Harriet said shyly.

"Hey Harriet," Sarah replied. Then turning to James said, "I guess I'd better go now. See you two tomorrow. Bye!"

They drove home in silence. When they arrived at Harriet's house, James got out of his car and opened Harriet's car door. Harriet stepped out. When she opened the front door, she saw James already in his car about to leave. Disappointed, Harriet closed the front door and headed upstairs to her room. Once there, Harriet decided to watch a movie so she walked over to her shelf of 'Feel Good' movies, contemplating which one to watch. After a few minutes of thinking, she finally decided on The Notebook.

"Whenever you're feeling sad or angry, or whatever else, there's something about that movie that will somehow cheer you up," she said to herself.

Laptop positioned, Harriet put the movie in and settled in to watch it.

Tears, tears and more tears. That's what was falling from Harriet's eyes as she watched Allie read the letters Noah sent her all those years ago. The ones her mother kept.

Then, Alli's choice between her first love Noah, and her new love Lon; ultimately choosing her first love.

By the time Noah and Allie depart peacefully from the world together, Harriet's eyes were red and full of tears. But even with all the tears, Harriet felt happy. Allie and Noah got their happy ending.

"If Noah and Allie can have their happy ending, why can't I?" Harriet whispered to herself, "I need to tell him how I feel. Even if the feelings are not reciprocated, at least he'll know. I won't have to regret not ever telling him how I feel."

And with that decision, Harriet went to work on her science homework.