˗ˋ 02

CHAPTER TWO

-: third year :-

── IN WHICH THEY AREN'T EXPELLED

. . .

Harry and Marlie were sat on seperate armchairs, watching as the Minister of Magic sat in front of them, teaching towards the tray of tea and crumpets.

"Well, you two," said Fudge, pouring out tea, "You've had us all in a right flap, I don't mind telling you. Running away from your aunt and uncle's house like that! I'd started to think... but you're both safe, and that's what matters."

Whilst the twins shared a look, Fudge buttered himself a crumpet, then pushed the plate towards them.

"Eat, Harry, Marlene, you look dead on your feet. Now then... You will be pleased to hear that we have dealt with the unfortunate blowing-up of Miss Marjorie Dursley. Two members of the Accidental Magic Reversal Department were dispatched to Privet Drive a few hours ago. Miss Dursley has been punctured and her memory has been modified. She has no recollection of the incident at all. So that's that, and no harm done."

Fudge smiled at the pair in turn, and Marlie shifted in her seat, crossing her ankles underneath the chair. She couldn't believe what she was hearing, but had no idea what would be happening to them.

"Ah, you're worrying about the reaction of your aunt and uncle?" said Fudge. "Well, I won't deny that they are extremely angry, but they are prepared to take you both back next summer as long as you stay at Hogwarts for the Christmas and Easter holidays."

"We always stay at Hogwarts. And we would rather not go back again." Marlie butted in, and Fudge looked over at her, then cleared his throat.

"Now, now, I'm sure you'll both feel differently once you've calmed down," said Fudge in a worried tone. "They are your family, after all, and I'm sure you are fond of each other - er - very deep down."

Neither Harry nor Marlie chose to correct him on that.

"So all that remains," said Fudge, now buttering himself a second crumpet, whilst neither twins had touched theirs or their tea. "Is to decide where you're going to spend the last two weeks of your vacation. I suggest you take a room here at the Leaky Cauldron and.."

"But what about our punishment?" Harry asked, and Marlie nodded, sitting slightly forward in her seat. Fudge looked confused, so he continued. "One of us - both of us - broke the law. The Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry!"

"Oh, my dear boy, we're not going to punish you for a little thing like that!" cried Fudge, waving his crumpet impatiently, throwing a smile Marlie's way. "It was an accident! We don't send people to Azkaban just for blowingup their aunts!"

"But what about last year? We got an official warning just because a house-elf smashed a pudding in my uncle's house!" she told Fudge, frowning. "The Ministry of Magic said I'd be expelled from Hogwarts if there was any more magic there!"

"Circumstances change, Harry, Marlie. We have to take into account... in the present climate... Surely you don't want to be expelled?" Fudge looked slightly awkward.

"Of course we don't." They said, and Fudge swallowed the final bite of his crumpet, wiping his hands on his trousers.

"Well then, what's all the fuss about?" laughed Fudge. "Now, have a crumpet, you two, while I go and see if Tom's got a room for you."