˗ˋ 24

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

-: third year :-

── IN WHICH THEY'RE NERVOUS

. . .

Twenty minutes after Hermione had disappeared, she met up with Marlie, Harry and Ron by the Divination ladder. And together they climbed the ladder into the dim, stifling tower room. Glowing on every little table was a crystal ball full of pearly white mist, sitting down together at the same rickety table.

"I thought we weren't starting crystal balls until next term," Ron muttered, casting a wary eye around for Professor Trelawney, in case she was lurking nearby.

"I wonder if this will actually show us dying." Marlie commented, peering over at  the crystal ball. "Don't complain, this means we've finished palmistry," She looked over to Ron.

"I was getting sick of her flinching every time she looked at my hands." Harry was also looking around for Trelawney, jumping when he saw her emerge from the shadows.

"Good day to you!" said the familiar, misty voice, as Professor Trelawney made her usual dramatic entrance. Parvati and Lavender quivered with excitement, their faces lit by the milky glow of their crystal ball. 

"I have decided to introduce the crystal ball a little earlier than I had planned," said ProfessorTrelawney, sitting with her back to the fire and gazing around. "The fates have informed me that your examination in June will concern the Orb, and I am anxious to give you sufficient practice."

Hermione snorted. "Well, honestly... 'the fates have informed her'. Who sets the exam? She does! What an amazing prediction!" she said, not bothering to keep her voice low. Marlie, Harry and Ron choked back laughs.

 It was hard to tell whether Professor Trelawney had heard them as her face was hidden in shadow. She continued, however, as though she had not. "Crystal gazing is a particularly refined art," she said dreamily. "I do not expect any of you to See when first you peer into the Orb's infinite depths. We shall start by practicing relaxing the conscious mind and external eyes-"

Ron began to snicker uncontrollably and had to stuff his fist in his mouth to stifle the noise — "so as to clear the Inner Eye and the super conscious.Perhaps, if we are lucky, some of you will see before the end of the class."

They began, those with any common sense or self-awareness feeling rather foolish as they stared blankly at the crystal ball, trying to keep their minds empty. It didn't help that Ron kept breaking into silent giggles and Hermione kept tutting.

Marlie slumped against the table, only just missing the orb. "This is so stupid." She whined, propping her head up with her hand. 

"Seen anything yet?" Harry asked - clearly directing the question at Ron and Hermione. It was safe to assume that Marlie had seen asbolutely nothing. 

"Yeah, there's a burn on this table," said Ron, pointing, and Marlie who was absolutely interested in anything other than crystal gazing leaned over to look. "Someone's spilled their candle."

 "This is such a waste of time," Hermione hissed. "I could be practicing something useful. I could be catching up on Cheering Charms-"