˗ˋ 09

CHAPTER NINE

-: third year :-

── IN WHICH THE FAT LADY DISAPPEARS

. . .

"We'll bring you back loads of sweets from Honeydukes." Hermione promised. The day of Halloween had come quickly since Harry and Marlie had been denied McGonagall's permission to Hogsmeade - and if the twins were honest, the usually bright day seemed rather grey.

"Loads." Ron promised - he and Hermione had made up after they had asked McGonagall, seeing as they were both visiting Hogsmeade together, and as the twins faced the difficulties they were.

Marlie nodded along side Harry, as he told them not to worry about them - and that they hoped they had a good time. Accompanying them to Entrance Hall, they said their goodbyes, before turning back around.

"Staying here, Potters?" shouted Malfoy, who was standing in line with Crabbe and Goyle. "Scared of passing the Dementors?"

"Hope you don't piss yourself this time, Malfoy." Marlie returned, a taunting smile on her face as Malfoy spluttered, not hearing his reply before they had disappeared up the stairs.

They returned to the common room, but quickly had to leave again, as Colin Creevey appeared. "Aren't you going to Hogsmeade, Marlie, Harry? Why not? Hey -" Colin looked eagerly around at his friends — " you can come and sit with us, if you like!"

Marlie, admittedly, have a bit of a soft spot for the overly-enthusiastic second year, and would have perhaps accepted the offer of sitting with Colin, had his friends not already been staring at their matching scars already.

"I'm sorry, we have some homework to do in the library." Marlie said, smiling down at the boy. "But have fun - and we can talk about some photography later?" She offered, feeling bad for declining his well-intended invitation.

Colin seemed extremely excited by this, and didn't protest as Marlie and Harry left. They weren't able to get to the library like they planned, having met Filch who was instantly suspicious of them trying to sneak out.

Instead, the twins ended up walking aimlessly around the castle - until they heard their names being called from within as room. They turned around, and saw Professor Lupin.

"What are you doing?" said Lupin, "Where are Ron and Hermione?" Harry explained how they had gone into Hogsmeade, Marlie nodding along.

"Why don't you come in? I've just taken delivery of a Grindylow for our next lesson." Lupin invited the pair into his office, no further questions asked about Hogsmeade.

"A what?" Marlie asked, the pair following Lupin into his office and directed over to a tank in the corner. Within the tank was what Lupin had called a Grindylow, a sickly green creature with sharp little horns had its face pressed against the glass, pulling faces and flexing its long, spindly fingers.

"Water demon," said Lupin, surveying the Grindylow thoughtfully. "We shouldn't have much difficulty with him, not after the Kappas. The trick is to break his grip. You notice the abnormally long fingers? Strong, but very brittle."

"Lovely." Marlie commented, and Lupin chuckled. The Grindylow bared its green teeth and then buried itself in a tangle of weeds in a corner.