˗ˋ 17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

-: third year :-

── IN WHICH HE HEARS IT

. . .

"It's getting worse," Harry muttered, biting off the Frog's head. "I could hear her louder that time - and him - Voldemort -" Marlie swallowed harshly, remembering their experiences at the Quidditch match.

"Well Harry, why don't you take a break and we'll try Marlie again. Have you got another memory?" Lupin asked, turning towards the female twin.

"Yes." Marlie said decidedly. She wanted to try the memory of when it first became obvious that her, Harry, Ron and Hermione were true friends - the only two friends that the twins had had in a long time.

Marlie stepped forward, staring determined at the the chest that held the dementor. "Expecto Patronum." She practised, something silver appearing at the end.

"Ready?" Lupin asked, and Marlie nodded, watching as he stepped forward and opened up the chest. The boggart flew out once again, resembling a dementor once more.

Marlie had been confident, but her knees buckled and her hand shook as she pointed her wand at it. "Expecto patronum." She said, her voice wavering. Marlie paused, taking a deep breath as she closed her eyes, focusing on that memory. "Expecto patronum." She repeated, and out of her wand appeared a barrier of the silvery-blue.

Lupin practically laughed with excitement, watching as the girl used the shield to pressure the boggart back into the box, and he leant forward, shutting the lid. "Well done Marlie!" He bellowed. "A non-corporeal patronus, but a patronus no less."

The girl smiled, extremely pleased with herself as she stepped back. "Harry?" She asked, and the boy nodded, having watched her. "Want another go?" Marlie continued.

"Sure - yeah." Harry blinked, adjusting his glasses and standing up. He stepped forward, and Marlie watched from her seat on the table. "Ready." He said.

"Go!" said Lupin, pulling off the lid. The room went icily cold and dark once more. The Dementor glided forward, drawing its breath; one rotting hand was extending toward Harry-

"Expecto patronum!" Harry yelled. "Expecto patronum! Expecto Pat -"

And once again, Marlie was faced with the horrible view of her brother laid on the dusty floor, glasses lopsided and eyes shut.

"Harry! Harry.. wake up.." Lupin was tapping Harry hard on the face. It seemed to take him a minute before he woke up, realising that he was laid on the floor with his teacher and sister above him.

"I heard my dad," Harry mumbled. Marlie froze, a new sense of jealousy waving over her. She had never heard her father - and some sort of awful, twisted feeling settled in her gut. It was awful, but she was thinking it - why couldn't she have heard their father's voice.

"That's the first time I've ever heard him - he tried to take on Voldemort himself, to give my mum time to run for it.." Harry continued, glancing over at his sister, who sat unmoving, her eyes unfocused.

They turned glassy, and with a harsh sniff, she wiped her eyes, a single tear dripping from the bottom of her jaw and onto the floor, a tiny dark patch forming.