˗ˋ 04

CHAPTER FOUR

-: third year :-

── IN WHICH THEY'RE HOME

. . .

"You fainted, Potter? Not just one of you, but both of you? Is Longbottorn telling the truth? You both actually fainted?" A jeering voice could be heard, as soon as the twins, Ron and Hermione exited their carriage, the latter being shoved out of the way as a certain blond stood above them on the stone stairs.

"And what about it?" Marlie replied, and Malfoy smirked, his eyes flicking up and down, taking in the girl's appearance.

"It's a shame you're such a.. bitch." Malfoy scoffed. "Plus you hang around blood traitors and mudbloods." He spat, not even sparing a glance at the two he was talking about.

"Shame you're such a prat, with your annoying little ratty voice and greasy hair." Marlie retorted.

"Shove off, Malfoy," said Ron, whose jaw was clenched as he watched the two exchanged harsh words to each other, but knew that Marlie was not taking any of it to heart.

"Did you faint as well, Weasley?" said Malfoy loudly. "Did the scary old Dementor frighten you too, Weasley?"

"Is there a problem?" said a mild voice. Professor Lupin had just gotten out of the next carriage. Marlie watched as Draco took in the appearance of their latest Defence Against the Dark Arts professor, scoffing.

Marlie would have continued insulting him if Harry hadn't pulled her away, wanting to stick with Hermione and Ron. However, this wasn't for long, as McGonagall approached them from the end of the corridor.

"Mr Potter, Miss Granger." She said, and hoping that she wasn't involved in whatever it was - a very unlikely situation - Marlie attempted to continue to walk with Ron. "Not so fast, Marlie. I want to see all three of you please." McGonagall said, and Marlie froze.

The three of them were taken into her office, and Hermione was asked to stand for a just a little while - the two twins being forced down into the two chairs in front of McGonagall's desk.

"Professor Lupin sent an owl ahead to say you had both been taken ill on the train." McGonagall said, a soft knock sounding and Madame Pomfrey bustling through.

"Oh it's you two." The woman frowned. "I suppose you've been doing something dangerous again?"

"Poppy, it were the dementors." McGonagall explained, and the two teachers shared a dark look, the nurse chuckling nervously. Harry and Marlie were prodded and poked by Madame Pomfrey until they told them that Lupin had given them chocolate.

Then, they were free to go, Hermione staying behind for scheduling reasons. They waited outside the office for around five minutes, before Hermione exited and the trio walked back to the Hall.

They had missed the Sorting, and barely had time to tell anyone where they had been as Dumbledore stood up, just as the three of them had slipped into their seats.

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..." Dumbledore cleared his throat.