˗ˋ 10

CHAPTER TEN

-: third year :-

── IN WHICH THEY STAY IN THE GREAT HALL

. . .

The whole school had been gathered into the Great Hall once again, the large room having been cleared of any dishes and food when the students left. The Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw students huddle in the corners, all confused and particularly grumpy at being dragged back up into the hall.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Professor Dumbledore told them as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors into the hall. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he added to Percy, who was looking immensely proud and important. "Send word with one of the ghosts."

Professor Dumbledore paused, about to leave the hall, and said, "Oh, yes, you'll be needing..." One casual wave of his wand and the long tables flew to the edges of the hall and stood themselves against the walls; another wave, and the floor was covered with hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags. "Sleep well." Dumbledore continued, before closing the door behind him.

As soon as he left, the hall was filled with chatter, Gryffindors telling the other houses what had happened, and the tale spreading like wildfire, various other versions already been passed around as it went from student to student.

"Everyone into their sleeping bags!" shouted Percy. "Come on, now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

Ron, Harry, Hermione and Marlie grabbed a sleeping bag each and dragged them to a slightly less populated corner. Still fully dressed and with no way of changing into their pajamas, the group slipped into the sleeping bags, Marlie using the wall to prop herself up on, whilst the other three used their elbows.

Marlie zoned out as Hermione and Ron began to talk about the current whereabouts of Black, and how lucky they were that he chose tonight of all nights - the one night they were out of the tower at that time, because of the feast.

Her eyes focused on the end of her purple sleeping bag, Marlie didn't say much as the others discussed theories of how the criminal may or may not have gotten into the castle.

"You alright?" Harry asked, moving a little bit closer to his sister, who could only shrug. "I reckon we're safe here, y'know. Dumbledore won't let us get hurt."

"I bloody hope he won't." Marlie muttered, and Harry chuckled, somewhat gratefully - he wasn't very used to see his sister all quiet and serious, she was always sarcastic and loud.

"The lights are going out now!" Percy shouted. "I want everyone in their sleeping bags and no more talking!"

"Night Harry." Marlie said, before moving off of the wall to lay down, her head resting on the slightly puffy part of the sleeping bag - which must be it's built in pillow.

The candles all extinguished at once, leaving the Hall in darkness. It was an odd setting to fall asleep in, low mutters echoing around the hall, the feeling of danger but also the odd sensation of being safe.