˗ˋ 44

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR

-: fourth year :-

── IN WHICH THE DARK 
MARK APPEARS

. . .

The group of four continued down the dark path, going much further into the deep wood. Despite it seeming practically impossible in the dark and the busyness of the panicked crowd following the same trail, they kept an eye out for Fred, George and Ginny.

Their efforts proved futile as they didn't even glimpse a sight of ginger hair and with no other means of finding them, they had no choice but to continue on. Some distance on, they passed a group of goblins who were cackling over a sack of gold that they had undoubtedly won betting on the match, and who seemed quite unperturbed by the trouble at the campsite. Farther still along the path, they walked into a patch of silvery light, and when they looked through the trees, they saw three tall and beautiful veela standing in a clearing, surrounded by a gaggle of young wizards, all of whom were talking very loudly. 

Harry and Marlie then recognised one as Stan Shunpike and the situation turned funny when they heard his claims that he was about to be the youngest Minister of Magic. It was simply not true, and the Potter girl was still laughing when they had to drag Harry and Ron away, who had once again been enraptured by the Veela charm.

"Honestly!" Hermione exclaimed, entrusting Marlie with her brother as she had to use a little more force to drag Ron away. After a couple more stiffled giggles Marlie grabbed Harry's elbow and followed Hermione and Ron. 

By the time the sounds of the veela and their admirers had faded completely, they were in the very heart of the wood. They seemed to be alone now; everything was much quieter. 

Harry looked around. "I reckon we can just wait here, you know. We'll hear anyone coming a mile off." The words were hardly out of his mouth, when Ludo Bagman emerged from behind a tree right ahead of them. Even by the weak light of the three wands, they could see that a change had come over Bagman. He no longer looked buoyant and rosy-faced; there was no more spring in his step - in fact he looked rather sickly, pale and strained.

"Who's that?" Bagman asked, blinking down at them, trying to make out their faces. "What are you doing in here all alone?" 

"Well - there's a sort of riot going on," Ron replied, not hiding any of the confusion that was shared over the four faces.

Bagman stared at him as if he had just told him that there was a herd of Hippogriffs thundering through the woods towards them. Although that almost seemed more plausible than Death Eaters rioting around the camping grounds. "What?" He asked, blue eyes boring into the four teenagers in front of him. 

"At the campsite... some people have got hold of a family of Muggles?" Marlie offered, in some state of shock that one of the main organisers of the entire event was so careless and dim-witted when it came to such a serious situation.

Bagman swore loudly. "Damn them!" he said, looking quite distracted, and without another word, he Disapparated with a small pop.

"Not exactly on top of things, Mr Bagman, is he?" Hermione said, a frown covering her face..

"He was a great Beater, though," Ron mused, looking thoughtful as he lead the way off the path into a small clearing, and sitting down on a patch of dry grass at the foot of a tree. "The Wimbourne Wasps won the league three times in a row while he was with them." He took his small figure of Krum out of his pocket, set it down on the ground, and watched it walk around, amused.