Chapter 7: What's Happening

The Gym had cleared out and Paige had left. I sat against the wall waiting for Jake. besides Jake, Jordan, and me, everyone had gone home.

A few seconds later Jordan walked out and looked down at me.

"You waiting for Jake?" he asked

"Yeah."

"He will be out in a second." He said as he walked towards the door "See ya, Katie."

"See ya," I replied as he left the gym

Soon Jake walked out. He seemed surprised to see me.

"Hey, Katherine. What's up?" He asked

"Nothing much," I replied as I stood up

"One on one?" I asked as I noticed a ball on the ground behind him

"Sure!" He replied as he tossed his bag to the floor.

I grabbed the ball which was sweaty but still had a good grip. I shot it and it went straight into the hoop.

"Not bad," he said nonchalantly

I smile "I try."

We play for a while shooting, passing, jumping, shooting, passing. The game gets intense. He steals the ball from me and shoots across the gym. He was so fast it was unnatural. Irritated, I stretch my hand out to grab for the ball and then a hole opens up in thin air. Uncontrollably I shoot towards the hole and go through it. Somehow I am behind Jake now.

Jake sensing my presence, turns and looks at me. He drops the ball. He looks worried but sympathetic.

Gone. Now I was halfway across the court without moving. Jake turns and looks at me again. I start to cry.

'What is happening?'

One more time. Now I am at the door of the gym I push through it and run.

Again. I moved halfway up the stairs. I hear him behind me.

Again. I am now outside and halfway down the sidewalk. I turn and see him running. He is a blur. He pauses and looks at me.

One more time. I move and I am at the very end of the sidewalk. I fall down and start to cry harder I place my head in my hands.

"Swoosh"

I feel Jake put a hand on my back. I look up and he is kneeling. He looks worried.

"What's Happening?" I ask through a wall of tears

He hesitates. "I don't know."

I lean on his chest and he puts an arm around me, pulling me closer. There we sit on the sidewalk confused and scared, tears rolling down my cheeks and onto the concrete.