Chapter 17: Cold Feet

I feel Mr. Brooks' words in my chest. My heart drops. My thoughts race through my head.

"What if I do it wrong? What if I get hurt? What will everyone think of me if I mess it up?"

I take a deep breath and step forward. I look back at the group and I make eye contact with Malina. I turn around to face the tree.

"Just take a deep breath" I hear. It's Malina. She is in my head again.

I look back at her she nods and then takes a deep breath as a little encouragement. I turn around and follow after Malina, taking a deep breath.

I scan the area and try to figure out where I want to go. I close my eyes to concentrate.

"Inhale, Exhale," I think

I open my eyes and look at the tree. There is a big branch hanging off of the side of the trunk.

I concentrate hard. Suddenly, I am on the branch, too suddenly. I begin to lose my balance and fall. This isn't good. I start to panic and teleport.

I teleport in the air about 30 feet above the valley. I begin to fall. Teleport. I am on the edge of a cliff near the valley and again, I fall. Teleport. I am above the river now. I am falling and falling fast.

I spin in the air so that I am in an upright position. Suddenly, I hit the water.

"Hit the water? What the hell?" I think

I look down at my feet I am standing on small pads of ice that are placed under my feet.

"Thoughts weren't there before!" I exclaim "Did I just freeze the water?"

I look up and see the group rushing towards me. Jake takes a big step and suddenly he is right next to me. He is getting used to his powers quickly. He stands at the bank of the river. Jake looks down at my feet where the ice is and then back at me. I am terrified.

I teleport behind him and he turns around to look at me. He looks worried. I begin to cry as I teleport away from the valley and back to the top of the mountain.