Chapter 14: The Valley of the Emerald Tree

The sun that had set was now beginning to rise. We looked for the group but it was too dark. Although, soon enough the sun began to rise and lit the land with bright rays of love. Now we could see the group. They were in a clearing in the forest, which was behind the mountain. The mountain was a long way behind the school, which even if you were at the top of it, you couldn't see anything for miles.

Jake looked at me and grabbed my hand. Pulling me down the mountain towards the clearing. Once we arrived Mr. Brooks look at us and smiled. He turned towards the others and signaled for all of us to follow him. Mr. Brooks walked through the woods some more and we walked with him for about half an hour.

Mr. Brooks turned and looked at us. "Don't worry," He said "It will get easier."

I assumed he was talking about the long journeys we had to keep taking. As we walked we were silent. We were all so excited to test out our powers but in a weird way also scared. None of us have used our powers yet, not with full control.

The probability of us losing control of our powers was very high. This made me more nervous and the more nervous we became the more our control would slip away from us; an endless cycle.

Soon we made it to the edge of a cliff. No, a valley, small but deep. The valley was bright green and clear, far different from the forest, dark and congested.

Mr. Brooks motioned for us to follow, so we did. He lead us down a steep but steady trail. The trail, even though dusty, was obviously not used in a while, as the grass was covering it in a thin layer.

We walked for a while but the trail was becoming rockier. Oliver slipped but Jake caught him and pulled him to his feet. We walked a little more and the trail was almost unbearable. Rocks everywhere and roots of a nearby dead tree were catching our toes.

Finally, we were there at the bottom of the valley. A little river was running through it. There were rounded boulders in an oddly symmetrical circle. In the middle of the circle was a lively tree. The tree was massive and the trunk was white with brown speckles. The leaves were a shade of emerald green. A vast shadow cast by the tree loomed over some of the valley in a mysterious way. The whole sight seemed pleasantly magical.