Chapter 18: Hot Handed

The air on the tip of the mountain is sharp and cold. My tears were like icicles on my skin. I had been up there for a while scared of what had happened to me. The sun had sent into the night and the stars were shining beautifully but my emotions distracted me from the scene. I rest my head on my knees and sob.

Whoosh

I lift my head. It's Jake.

"Jake, what is happening to me? I thought it was just teleportation. Now its ice too?"

"I don't know but it will be ok. I am the only one that saw it. So your secret is safe with me." Jake responds as he sits down next to me.

I pick up some snow off of the stony surface of the mountain. Jake is watching intently. The snow begins to melt. I concentrate hard trying to refreeze the water. It doesn't work.

"Katherine, I don't know what's happening to you but I do know that whatever happens, you will be ok."

I stand up. "How do you know that?" I exclaim frustrated.

He stands up too. "I just do," he responds, trying to calm me down.

"No, you don't" I scream throwing my hands into the air.

Suddenly, something shoots out of my hands. Something bright. It's fire, a ball of fire. Then I notice that my hands are on fire but... are they? My hands are bright with color and light and the hottest heat I have ever felt but... there is no pain. No burning, no bleeding, no... nothing.

I look at Jake and he looks at me. I begin to cry. This time the tears are coming much faster and my breath is panicky. As I cry, the fire in my hands goes out. I fall to my knees and place my head in my hands. My hands are still warm from the fire.

"I'm scared," I mutter, panicky, through my tears.

Jake walks over and kneels down in front of me. He grabs my hands and pulls them away from my face as he pulls me into a warm embrace.