Chapter 20: Footsteps in the Forest

After a few weeks of practicing our powers and training, everyone felt ready. Well actually, almost everyone felt ready. I was still confused about my secret powers which made it hard for me to concentrate on my teleportation. The portals were not being placed where I wanted them to and I was not being teleported correctly. I was a mess and everything around me was a mess.

I had archery practice after school. So everyone else, including Mr. Brooks who teleported after practice, were already at the caverns. It was about five and I was almost at the mountain when I heard something in the woods. I crouched and listened. There were footsteps, many footsteps. Then there was talking.

"The cavern entrance is at the top of the mountains. We just need to get up there and hope that they are in there... and no using your powers. With all this walking, we can't afford to use any more of our energy."

The voice was rough but femine. She definitely was the leader.

They began walking and getting closer to me. I closed my eyes and concentrated on my powers. Suddenly I was teleported into the cavern. I walk into the training dome and everyone was playing around with their powers. Jake ran and jumped, but not high enough. He came crashing down to the floor.

I walked over to Mr. brooks with my head down. Once I told him there was no going back. War is war.

I lifted my head to meet Mr. Brooks' eyes.

"They are here."