Little Kocoum: Make them see

"I thought we were going to the waterfall." I mumbled to the tribe's Young Adults.  I didn't like them nor did I want to be around them on this trip. My mom made me go to please the Chief specifically. His grandson was the organizer and had jokingly invited me in front of our parents. "Oh shut up, you're lucky to be hanging with us dork." A black haired native girl, Jessie, said with a sneer. I rolled my eyes and looked out the window, "Sure thing, slut," I said irritated with the entire situation.

"We're going to GlassBend, it's a lake and river. Has an old Native camp so it's better than pitching tents." Kocoum whispered to me gently. He was the only one I could tolerate (I wouldn't mind actually being friends) and he was untraditionally attractive for a native. Black long hair, kind of curly, that he kept in a French braid that touched his lower back. A long streak of  natural white swirl into it tied off with a hummingbird feather   His eyes were a very pretty, deep brown with flecks of green and gold, all encircled by thick, long, fluttering lashes.
"You okay?" He said, snapping me out of my thoughts.
"Yeah, Dissociation sucks." I chuckled shyly before watching the beautiful scenery again.
"Oh, yeah it does. I never see you at the events." He said, referring to the company events. "We're adults, we've got other shit to worry about, Kocoum." He smiled softly, gleaming white teeth beaming at me, "I agree. I go to the big ones that Dad makes me. I play nice, network with the other funds. It's hard for Native Americans to be taken seriously." He mumbled something but I couldn't catch it so I let it go. "Looks like we're nearly there. Bout an hour according to Brian and Mike. You should take a nap. " He scooted close as if he wasn't already uncomfortably close to me. I leaned my head against the window and car door.  He hummed a rhythmic song as I tried to calm my nerves.

"Hey, Y/N, you okay?" Kocoum mumbled as he touched my shoulder. "Y-Yeah, Thanks, Kocoum. Are we there?" He nodded blowing a curl away from his face. Sighing and stretching, Kocoum helped me out of the car, ignoring the snide the comments from the rest of the company. "You don't have to hang out with me Kocoum. I know I'm the outsider." The company was majority from one reservation that held multiple tribe's ran by a council of elders, they'd hired my mother and taken us in out of generosity. My father had been abusive and left my mom half dead on the reservation. "You are part of us even when the eagle was a little later." I smiled not truly believing his words but happy none the less at the acceptance.  We'd spent time picking out where we wanted to sleep. Kocoum wouldn't let me out of his sight, but not in a creepy way. He kept looking at Jessie and Madilyn as if he knew something I didn't. I'd slipped away to pee and when I came around the corner I walked into a conversation. "Little Kocoum, why are you entertaining this... Girl? She's not one of us and she'll never be. " A voice said, it was steady and calm but underneath laid an anger. " She is, her mother is, They are part of us. They may not have chosen a tribe but they've chosen our people, land, and culture." Kocoum's voice was clear with authority, living up to his grandfather's own strength. "You're not Chief yet, she just some poke who got beat by her father and came to us for help." A smaller voice murmured just loud enough. "I advise you to watch your tongue, I seem to remember someone running around with a white man on to come back broken and asking me for help." Kocoum hissed at the girl. " No one is interested in her, she'll leave at some point, to finish her degree. And we won't accept her back in. " A man said gruffly. " I plan to make her a part of, well, ya know... Patawomeck. " Kocoum mumbled, his voice softened with an emotion I couldn't identify. I walked out from behind the cabin and looked around at everyone. "Uh, Hi? Was there an activity that I missed?" A girl, the one with the small voice, shook her head, "Just talking. What do you plan on doing for your degree?" I smiled brightly, "Ah, I finish this year, then I will do my residency at the Reservation before opening a small clinic for the reservation and natives off the reservation. I ,of course,will accept anyone who comes in. Health should be cheap, affordable, free even. " I rattled off, excited about my plans for the future forgetting the previous conversation. Kocoum wrapped an arm around my shoulder and nodded at the others as if to say "I told you so." The first guy who spoke asked me, "And what do you think will be the hardest part? Grants? Insurance?" I smiled sadly and shook my head," Acceptance. I'm... Not one of you, " I looked up at the 6'3 frame of Little Kocoum, "My mother and I... We feel the resistance. If my mother hadn't fallen in love with Tommy, in love with Big Bear, Would we have stayed here so long with the bullying? " I shook my head, " Grants? I can raise the money doing outside work. Insurance, legally cannot deny based of the clinic being on the reservation. No, I suspect the hardest part will being people accepting me and my help. " I looked back at everyone and shrugged, hugging Kocoum closely before retreating to my cabin.

I'd fallen asleep with tears on my face sometime soon after my confrontation. I felt a large hand run over my hair and down my jaw. I didn't open my eye but instead snuggled into the hand. I knew who's it was, so I played sleep. "You are one of us. You're so good to us and yet you've been tormented at our hands." He used his thumb  to wipe away the tears on my face. I laid closer to him and he wrapped his arms around me. "I'll make them see... You belong with us, with me. "