5 - A Beronica Story

This chapter focuses mostly on Veronica and Betty

Toni's pov

Third period after lunch, Toni had Geography aka one of the most useless classes Toni has ever sat through. She watched as the clock slowly ticked by. Seconds feeling like minutes and minutes feeling like hours.

The teacher's words turned into fog as Toni wondered what her friends were doing. They must be having a better time than her.

Veronica's pov

Third period, Veronica had biology where the class was going to dissect frogs, something she never had to do back in Manhattan.

Their teacher, Mrs Henderson, looked over at the list of names to read the students' groups. Then, she began to call out their pairs to start the project.

"...Veronica and Betty..." she called out eventually.

The two girls got up from their seats to retrieve the frozen amphibian corpse. Veronica took her seat and Betty sat down next to her placing the lifeless anura pinned to a tray on their desk.

"That is absolutely ghastly," Veronica said disgusted.

"Well, I guess it's part of the school's curriculum," Betty shrugged.

"It's just so vile and nauseating, why must we do this," she said with a gag "I mean how close can toad anatomy be to human anatomy?"

"You're saying you'd prefer a person on this tray?" Betty said sarcastically.

"You know what I mean, B," Veronica replied with a chuckle.

"Well if this doesn't distract you from your breakup, then I don't know what will," Betty joked.

"First, if you keep bringing it up, that defeats the whole purpose of being distracted," Veronica pointed out "and second, I told you, I broke up with Archie. Don't worry about me,"

"Enough chitter chatter, ladies," Mrs Henderson said from behind "Get to work on dissecting your frog,"

Veronica was about to do what was probably the most revolting thing she had done at the time. Betty wasn't to excited either. Veronica could tell she was trying not to puke.

-

"So that was the most unpleasant thing I have ever forced myself to do," Veronica complained, walking out of the classroom with Betty.

"I know right," Betty agreed "We had to do it last year but lucky for you, you weren't there," She said as they reached her locker.

"Yeah... I heard Cheryl straight up stabbed her frog and ripped it open while staring at someone,"

"My cousin can be a bit psychotic sometimes," Betty added.

"Yeah, she's Cheryl," Veronica said with a chuckle.

The next few moments were filled with silence. No one had anything to say, they just stared at each other. Betty started to move closer to Veronica.

She began to feel a sensation grow in her chest. Veronica felt like she did right before kissing Archie for the first time in the closet when she first came to Riverdale. Was it going happen now?

Betty's pov

Was Betty doing this? In front of the entire school, was she about to kiss her best friend?

Betty still remembers the first and only time she kissed a girl. Who could forget, it was in the middle of cheer tryouts with the new girl. At the time, the new girl was Veronica. Betty still doesn't know why she did it, all she knows it that it was one of the best experiences of her life.

But she could never tell that to Veronica right? Well, she was about to kiss her now. She could feel her cheeks redden and her heart beating so hard it was throbbing. She slowly moved forth, letting her lips follow Veronica's. Veronica gently leaned forward towards Betty.

Before their lips connected, just a few inches apart... the bell rang and Betty stumbled back.

Was I about to... in front of the whole school.. I should have told Veronica first... I'll tell her later

"Well uh.. see y-you at t-th uh.. Thorn Hill," Betty stuttered, avoiding eye contact.

"Yeah... see you there, B," Veronica mumbled awkwardly.

They both hugged and went their separate ways to the classrooms. Things might get a bit awkward for them tonight...

-

Betty looked at herself in the mirror fixing her makeup. She applied her pink perfection lipstick just as the serpent known as Toni Topaz, walked in the restroom.

"The girl next door," she said, standing behind Betty "I just want to talk,"

"Uh, yeah sure, what about?" "Betty asked, putting her makeup away.

Toni had never really talked to Betty before. She didn't know what to expect from this conversation.

"I just want to know," the gangster began "why do you hate me? Jughead told me it couldn't be about jealousy,"

Well Betty certainly wasn't expecting this.

"I don't hate you," Betty established "I just wanted to make sure Jughead had a good friend during his time at Southside," she continued "and you seem to care about Jug, you seem like a good friend,"

"The Serpents always have each other's backs, Jug's in good hands with us," Toni said with a surprisingly warm grin.

"I was actually thinking about joining the Serpents myself," Betty added.

Toni let out a snicker.

"Ooohh Barbie Doll," Toni started "trust me, the Serpents ain't for a cupcake like you,"

"What makes you say that," Betty said, feeling a bit offended.

"Do you even know what you have to do to get in?" Toni asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No, how bad could it be?"

"Well, for guys, there's a brutal initiation... and for the women, you have to do an outdated sexist tradition, called the 'Serpent dance'. Trust me it's not for you,"

"Maybe you're right.." Betty said, looking down.

"One more thing," Toni said changing the subject "good luck with Veronica,"

"What?" Betty said confused and surprised.

"I saw the way you were looking at her during fourth period," She said with a teasing smirk. Was Betty really being that obvious?

"Thanks," she smiled back "see you at Thorn hill," she said, exiting the restroom.