31 - Comfort

Toni's pov

"Expulsion!?" the three girls said in unison.

"Carrying a weapon on school property and severely injuring a student was when she crossed the line," principal Weatherbee showed the file once more.

"Does it really call for kicking me out of the school?" the Serpent gestured to herself.

"Certainly," he answered "In fact, at any moment, Mr. Clayton can decide to press charges for assault. You're lucky he hasn't come to that decision yet,"

"Chuck should be the one to sit in this chair in trouble," Veronica pointed towards the Serpent, "And you're making Toni leave? She literally just got here from the south side,"

"Then, maybe allowing the Southside students to walk our halls was the wrong decision,"

"You're not thinking of removing all the South siders, are you?" Cheryl said worriedly.

"Miss Blossom, I'm afraid that if you were not given permission to be here, there would be consequences if you do not leave this instant,"

Not a single word came out of the redhead's mouth as she silently walked out of the office. Toni turned her head to see the principal's disappointed expression as he continued talking.

"Listen, this a rather serious issue and we wouldn't want this to occur once more for my students' safety," he said as he closed the file, "The decision of Toni's expulsion hasn't even been declared as final yet,"

The two girls stared at each other with similar concerned eyes. They looked back at the principal how began to place the paperwork away.

"Now that we are done here, you two should be heading to class now for your third period,"

Toni and Veronica got up from their seats and left the office. The Serpent had no idea if she was going to stay at the school or not. She knew if she returned for third period, the other students wouldn't even bother to whispering, they'd have full-on rumours right in front of her face.

"Are you heading back to class?" Veronica asked the Serpent.

"I think I'll skip it to hang out with some Serpents," Toni replied "Most of us chose the courtyard to go to when we skip class. Sweetpea will probably be there and I just need some comfort from my best guy friend,"

"I could use some too," Veronica admitted, "Anyways, see you later, Toni," she said as they parted ways in the hall.

Cheryl's pov

Cheryl returned to her locker to retrieve her binders for the third period. While picking out her supplies, Cheryl kept thinking about how she shouldn't have been that concerned if the Serpent was leaving, but she was. She was still infuriated about what she saw, but she couldn't watch the Serpent walk out of the school. Cheryl didn't know what was compelling her to care about her, she just wanted her to stay.

Cheryl's heart jumped in surprise, startled by the contact she felt on her shoulder. She turned around to see Josie who clearly wanted answers.

"I'm sorry I couldn't stay," Josie apologized, "The secretary made me return to class,"

"That's ok, Josie, at least you're here now,"

"What happened? What did they say?" Josie asked curiously.

"Toni might be getting expelled from Riverdale High," Cheryl replied as she shut her locker, "At least, that's what I know so far,"

"Really?!" Josie almost shouted in shock, "What did she do?"

"Apparently she got into a fight with Chuck,"

"Why would she do that? Did she at least have a reason?"

"I'm not sure, I didn't ask," Cheryl said hesitantly, "and I'll most likely never do so,"

"Well, I think you should say something to Toni, or Veronica at least," Josie insisted.

"You wanted me to see her and I already did," Cheryl sighed "Please don't ask me again, I told you I didn't want to talk to Toni,"

"Did you really talk to Toni?" Josie crossed her arms "That was a very short talk if you did,"

"Not really, I guess," the redhead admitted.

"That's it, you are going to talk to Toni because it is too damn early to let her go," Josie demanded, "You are going to have a rational talk with her and listen to her side of the story, whether you like it or not. It will give you comfort and reconciliation," she grabbed the redhead's wrist.

"Look, Josie, I appreciate your consideration, but I-" before Cheryl could finish, Josie dragged her away from her locker.

Toni's pov

Toni placed her hands in her pocket as she walked outside in the courtyard. She saw Sweetpea talking to a handful of other serpents, leaning against the wall, smoking a cigarette.

"Tiny," he looked up, "come on here," the taller Serpent welcomed her in, "Finally, you're skipping class with us,"

"Bet you thought the north side was turning me into a goody-two-shoes or some shit," Toni joked.

"Actually I thought it was your preppy girlfriend," he offered a puff.

"You know I don't go that far," she declined the cigarette.

"I mean Cheryl Blossom, though?" Peaches n Cream turned to the shorter Serpent, "She's the most pristine they get,"

"Yeah.." Toni sighed, looking down, "I guess she is,"

"And we heard what happened, between you and her," Sweetpea added, "I told you to stay away from her because she was an absolute bitch,"

"Don't say that, she isn't that bad," Toni defended the redhead.

"Anyone who hurts my best friend can have the guts to face me," Sweetpea threatened in the reassuring way he always had when he was protecting her.

"Look don't get mad at her, if you really want to rage, get mad at Chuck,"

"But be honest, Toni," he lowered his voice, "are you really ok with her,"

"To be honest, I just miss her so so much, and I'm pretty sure I'm the one to blame," she admitted in defeat.

"No it's isn't, Tiny. Trust me, it'll get better,"

Toni rubbed her eyes as she felt the taller Serpent embrace her in a tight and warm hug. Sweetpea had always been Toni's older brother since Ryder moved away when. He was there to be her best friend, someone to do everything with, someone to fall back on, someone to support her as she supported him, someone to comfort her.

"So are you going to stay with us," he asked as she pulled away.

"I think I need some time with my own thoughts," Toni sighed, "If you need me, I'll be at the bleachers,"

The shorter Serpent exchanged one last quick hug with Sweetpea before leaving the courtyard.