18 - Through the walls

Toni's pov

"Those are my fingerprints?" Toni brought Veronica's phone up to her eyes.

"All over the gun," Veronica took her phone back.

"Someone really wants you gone," Jughead stated "I mean to go to such an extent, whoever framed you, they truly are dedicated to making you appear guilty,"

"I just wished Cheryl was here, she'd make me feel so much more comforted," Toni groaned.

"It's adorable how you miss Cheryl, she probably misses you so badly right now, you two are perfect for each other," Veronica said, placing her hand on her chest.

"I sure hope she feels that way too," Toni sat back down on the bench.

"Trust me, she does, I've known Cheryl long enough to know when she has her eye on someone," Veronica comforted the serpent who returned a grin.

All four of them turned their attention towards the door as they heard heels clicking on the floor. There Cheryl was, standing in the doorway elegant as always. Having spent all night in a cell, Toni could only imagine how filthy and sleep-deprived she must have appeared.

"Toni!" the redhead squealed in joy.

"Cheryl, you're here!" The Serpent smiled back.

"I'm so sorry they locked up in this insufferable hell all night," she embraced Toni's hand through the bars.

"I'm better now that you're here," she gave a warm smile to the redhead.

"We're going to leave now, ya know, to give you two some time to talk," Veronica walked out of the room with Sweetpea and Jughead.

Toni got a good look at Cheryl's face, her skin seemed quite blotched. She knew that she'd often apply full-face makeup, but Toni couldn't help but think she was covering something on her face. She didn't want to complain, but Toni wondered what took Cheryl so long to get to the station, she missed her company all night.

"I don't mean to sound ungrateful that you came, but why did it take you so long to get here?" Toni wondered as Cheryl kept her tight affectionate grip "Was it because you didn't get that news earlier," she tried to rationalize the situation.

"I would undoubtedly brake into a police station just to see you," Cheryl said, looking down "however, that would mean I'd have to get past my spiteful parents, which we are both aware that that is riskier than escaping Alcatraz,"

Right, her physically and emotionally abusive parents, that would answer both of my questions

"What lowlife would frame you of such a crime,"

"I don't know yet. But what I do know is that I'll make them wish they never messed with me," Toni made a promise to herself.

"Don't worry," the redhead pulled the Serpent's arm closer "I'll make sure they wish they hadn't ever been born," she whispered softly.

That side of Cheryl came out again, the side of her that was fierce, aggressive and protective. That side didn't put up with other's crap towards someone she cared. In this case and when it came out at Pop's, she was protecting Toni. She wondered if Cheryl has ever been like this before for someone else, probably Jason, maybe Heather.

"But first, we need to know who did it," Toni established as Cheryl released her grip.

"It's unbelievable how incredibly convincing the evidence that they forged is," Cheryl crosses her arms.

"They had to have been close enough to steal my fingerprints,"

"Which now that I've thought about it, it actually isn't as challenging as you'd initially think, they just need something you've touched,"