26 - The music room

Betty's pov

Betty walked out of her math class, knowing that without a doubt, she failed her test. Not studying the night prior was certainly a contributing factor. As well as the fact that she couldn't stop thinking about the way Veronica looked at her when they were drinking their vanilla milkshake. She had a gleaming shimmer in her eyes and a soft smile coming from her even softer lips. The feeling of Veronica's face being so close to hers was the only thing she could think of during the test. Betty never understood the importance of analyzing the Pythagorean theory anyways. As Betty headed to her locker, she observed Archie trying to get Josie's attention.

"Hey, Josie," he smirked.

Josie turned her head to look the other way, avoiding eye contact with the ginger. She began to head to her locker as fast as she could. Josie arrived at her locker, three lockers to the right from Betty's, and let out a deep sigh of frustration.

"What was that all about?" Betty raised an eyebrow.

"Uh, w-what ever are you-um talking about, Betty?" she stammered.

"How you completely avoided Archie, kinda how you've been doing all day long,"

"What? No, I haven't," Josie laughed nervously in denial.

"Come on, you can be honest with me, we've known each other for years," she sympathetically placed her hand on Josie's shoulder.

"Alright..." she sighed "let's go elsewhere to talk, somewhere with fewer people listening,"

Josie began to head to the music room followed by Betty. They entered the empty room as the echo of the heavy opening door filled the place. Josie let out a deep sigh as she sat on one of the stools.

"So, what's been bothering you?" Betty took her own seat.

"So yesterday, Archie and I practiced some songs we've been working on for the past few days," she began "It went as normal, he was playing his cords and I was synchronizing with the tunes, until," she stopped herself as her cheeks turned red of embarrassment and shame.

"Until what? It's alright Josie, I'll never judge you and I'll keep a secret,"

"Until he tried to kiss me," Betty felt her jaw drop in shock "we were rehearsing a love song and I thought he knew it was just a performance... turns out he didn't,"

"Wait, what? Does anyone else know?"

"Unless Archie said something, I don't think so," Josie shook her head.

"You have to tell Veronica before she finds out from someone else,"

"You're right, I-I just don't want to hurt Veronica," Josie stuttered.

"Don't worry, you won't have to tell her alone," Betty gave her an assuring grin.

Veronica's pov

Veronica headed to her next class for English. As she entered the classroom, she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket and turned back around out of the room. She read a text from Josie as her newest notification.

Josie: hey could you come to the music room, it's important

Well it beats learning about the different types of metaphors from To Kill a Mockingbird

Veronica entered the music room to see Betty standing next to Josie, both seeming uncomfortable.

"What dis you guys want to talk about? What's going on?" Veronica furrowed her eyebrows.

"You might want to sit down for this," Betty frowned as she pulled a chair out for Veronica to sit.

Veronica stared at the two girls, confused, unprepared for what she was about to hear. She sat down on the stool as she watched Josie twirl her thumbs anxiously.

"So yesterday after you left when you dropped off Archie's tuner, we began to rehearse a song I wrote called 'Her Lips' which is a love song. I closed my eyes to really feel the music of the moment and when I opened them, there he was, two inches from my mouth... trying to kiss me," Josie sighed in embarrassment.

Veronica tried the best she could to hold back her tears. She didn't say a word, she just stared back at Josie. Veronica knew it wasn't her fault, it was all Archie's, now she knew why she didn't feel loved by him anymore. The raven-haired girl closed her eyes in an attempt to cancel out her emotions and when she opened them slowly, she felt Betty's tight embrace. She felt so safe and loved in Betty's arms, it was a sensation, unlike anything she had ever felt from Archie's hugs.

"Betty," Veronica whispered "can we skip class to share a milkshake at Pop's?" the raven-haired girl pleaded.

"As long as it's vanilla," the blonde smirked as they began to giggle.

All three heads turned as they heard the door open. Archie walked into the music room as he furrowed his eyebrows, confused to see the three girls staring back at him.

"What is he doing here!" Veronica sniffed.

"I'm here to get my guitar?" he stared, still unaware of the situation "Ronnie, Baby, what's wrong?"

The raven-haired girl's tearful eyes kept her gaze on the ginger. She stood up and took three slow-paced steps towards him.

"You tried to kiss someone else?" her voice trembled "you tried to cheat on me?"

In an instant, the mood coming from the ginger changed entirely, almost like a light switch or a gear shift. He looked back the raven-haired girl and snickered in a mocking manner.

"Oh Ronnie, you sweet little bitch," he chuckled in a way that made Veronica anxious, "You think I don't notice you staring at other people?!" the ginger shouted as he took a step closer.

"What? Who a-are you talking about?" Veronica's voice croaked as she had a pretty good idea of who he was talking about.

Archie glanced behind Veronica where Betty stood. He shook it off and brought his gaze back to Veronica.

"Just be happy that we're still dating, you little whore,"

"No we're not!" she shouted, "I know what's better for me, and we are no longer dating, Archie!" Veronica stood her ground, knowing that if she hadn't ended their relationship, it would have merely gone down hill.

"You're damn right we aren't," he stormed out of the music room.