14 - Double date

Cheryl's pov

"Go out with you? At Pop's?"Cheryl repeated Toni's words.

"Yeah, I was thinking kind of like a.."

"A date?"

"I was hoping so," Toni grinned softly.

"Toni, I-I just can't go out on a date with you," she felt her gut clenching as Toni's smile faded slightly.

"Then it could just be two friends eating at a diner together," Toni suggested.

Cheryl gazed at Toni for a few seconds, her heart racing. She wasn't certain about how she would answer her. She didn't know what other people would think if she went on a date with. Although, she didn't see the harm in going to Pop's with a friend.

"As friends?" Cheryl tilted her head.

"Just two girls hanging out at Pop's," Toni said hopeful "If you're up to it, we could take my car right after school," she offered.

Cheryl contemplated for an instant before deciding on accepting Toni's offer. She glanced at Toni's face who seemed anxious yet wishful before giving her a subtle nod and a reassuring smile.

"Great," Toni's smile returned to her cheeks "we'll meet in the parking lot after last period,"

Toni's pov

Toni patiently awaited in her Chevrolet for the redhead's arrival. Of course, she had to change her date to just two friends eating together, but she knew she could turn it into something more.

And there she was, walking out of the school but not alone.

"I see you like classic cars," Cheryl observed.

"Yeah, it's kind of a family heirloom, my grandfather stole it grand theft auto style in 1982," Toni joshed.

Cheryl let out a small snicker. Oh, how she was adorable when she laughed. The joy captured in her smile, her two adorable dimples, the sunlight painted on her face, it was all so contagious.

"Do you mind if Betty and Veronica tagged along?" the redhead gestured to the girls standing behind her.

"No, not at all, we can all have a great time together,"

The cliche double date, this is going to be interesting

"So we're heading to Pop's?" Veronica asked, getting into the car.

"What other diner is there in Riverdale?" Toni answered sarcastically, turning her keys.

"True," Veronica nodded.

Toni turned up her radio and began driving to the diner. For most of the ride, Betty and Veronica joked around and giggled. They mostly joshed about all the little things they didn't like about Archie.

Toni and Cheryl on the other hand, they mostly stayed quiet during the drive. Neither of them had the confidence to say anything to each other. Eventually, Toni pulled into Pop's which was half empty.

The four girls sat down in a booth together, Toni sat next to Cheryl across from Veronica who sat next to Betty.

They began chatting about useless schoolwork, favorited and hated teachers, family problems, pet peeves, studentships.

-

"I'm just saying, Jarchie could be a thing," Betty snickered as the other girls began laughing.

"Ya know, I think Archie is better off single for the rest of his life," Veronica said in a slightly salty manner.

"Well I think that ship is definitely going to sail," Cheryl cheered.