21 - Home

Toni's pov

The Serpent sat hopelessly in the chilling cell as her faith faded by the minute. There was no point in keeping track of the time if her stay would be eternal. Wasting away in prison for the rest of her life was what she saw of her future. Toni feared she would be locked up before she even got the chance to express her feelings for the redhead.

She glanced over to the guarding officer who had received an order on his walkie-talkie. She was curious to know what he was told as the officer walked towards her cell. He unlocked and opened the cell door wide open, not saying a word.

"What's going on?" Toni tilted her head.

"You're being released," his deep voice answered before escorting her out of the room.

The Serpent didn't ask any further questions, she couldn't cough up any. She awkwardly walked pass the other officers as she headed towards the door. She was so confused, probably even more than when she was arrested. How was she being released, who bailed her out?

She stepped out of the Sheriff's station to see Cheryl standing in front of Betty and Veronica right outside, waiting for the Serpent. Her eyes twinkled in the luminescence of the stars as the moonlight shone onto her soft smile. Toni ran into her embrace, wrapping her arms around her waist and hugging her tightly as if her life depended on it. Her eyes began to tear up as Cheryl caressed her, resting her head on the redhead's shoulders.

"Cheryl, you did this?" she sniffed as the redhead pulled away.

"I would never leave you rotting in there," the redhead gently brushed her hand against Toni's cheek "Toni Topaz, I love you,"

Cheryl said it, before Toni could, she said those words. Of course, Toni didn't mind one bit that she was beaten to it. On the contrary, her heart was jumping for joy at the confirmation of her feelings. There was no doubt that Toni loved Cheryl and she loved her back. The Serpent lost herself in the redhead's deep, enlarging pupils. Toni brought her lips closer and pressed them against Cheryl's. The kiss felt magical under the spotlight of the moon, all of Toni's fears disintegrated into the darkness of night. She pulled away steadily, looking back at the redhead's glimmering eyes.

"I love you too, Cheryl" the Serpent returned the affection.

-

The two girls held hands as they entered Thorn Hill's front doorway. The Serpent glanced over to see Cheryl who let out a deep and relaxed inhale followed by an exhale.

"It's such a relief to walk into my own home without the fear of encountering my parents' more... aggressive side,"

Toni thought back to earlier that day when Cheryl visited her at the sheriff's station. She wore so much makeup just to cover up the bruises her abusive parents left. Then, hours later, most of her foundation had smudged off and her blemished skin began to show. Toni was glad that her parents got what they deserved but she knew it was going to be a delicate topic for Cheryl to open up about.

The Serpent followed the redhead into her scarlet inspired bedroom. She made herself comfortable on the silky ruby coloured bedspread. The redhead sighed deeply, seeming somewhat disoriented as she sat down next to her.

"What's on your mind?" Toni asked concerned.

"Staying in Thorn Hill's walls has always felt wrong since Jay Jay died, like something was missing in my own home," the redhead said, placing both of her hands on the Serpent's "that 'something' was someone who loved me whom I could love back," Toni began to blush uncontrollably at Cheryl's words, her cheeks turning crimson red "now that my brother is dead and my parents are locked away, there's no one left to take care of me in Thorn Hill, it'll be so empty and lonely here from now on," the redhead looked down "Unless maybe you'd want to stay over for a while, make it your home"

"You mean moving into Thorn Hill with you," the Serpent tilted her head.

"It could just be temporary if you want," Cheryl offered.

Toni could never deny an offer like that, she'd move in without a second thought just to be with Cheryl every day. The Serpent pulled the redhead closer, gazing deeply into her eyes. She had only one condition,

"As long as I'm the big spoon," the two girls giggled playfully before making out on the bed.

Cheryl's pov

Cheryl rubbed her eyes softly as her vision cleared up. The light of dawn shone through her window, painting her bedroom with rays of sunshine. The redhead felt the Serpent's arms cuddling her like she did all night. She turned her head to see Toni sleeping peacefully, wearing the same clothes as the night before. Cheryl looked down before coming to the realization that she hadn't changed either and was also wearing the same clothing as the night preceding. She assumed they must have fallen asleep after their long and exhausting prior day.

Cheryl turned her body to face the Serpent as she began to wake from her slumber. They exchanged soft gazes with their eyes before bringing their faces together for a short but sweet kiss.

"Good morning, Cher," Toni pulled away "hope you had a good sleep, I know I did next to you,"

"Making yourself comfortable at home I see," the redhead couldn't help but smile "I guess we should be getting used to this if it could be our every-morning-routine," she said, getting out of bed.

"I like the sound of that," the Serpent sat up.

"I'm going to get dressed now and you should too so we can go fetch your things from your trailer later," Cheryl said before walking into her bathroom.

-

Cheryl watched Toni unlocked her trailer, swinging the still loosened door from when the sheriff burst in. She followed the Serpent into her bedroom which was probably less in size than Cheryl's own bed. She helped pack her clothes and a few trinkets that stood on Toni's nightstand.

Cheryl admired the picture frames on Toni's bookshelf. She studied a portrait of who she assumed was her brother, Ryder, in New York next to a small glass replica of the Statue of Liberty.

"I can't wait to introduce you to Ryder," the serpent placed her hand on the redhead's forearm "he's going to love you,"

"Yeah... from the stories you've told me, I think he and Jason would have gotten along great," Cheryl said as Toni silently nudged herself closer "Jay Jay would have liked you as well,"

Cheryl imagined how amazing it would have been to be one big great happy family. It would have been a much more caring family than the one she and Jason got. Any family would have been better than the Blossoms.

because most parents don't murder their own son and take it out on their daughter

The redhead laid her head on the Serpent's shoulder, allowing all of her emotions to melt into her soft embrace. Cheryl had huge doubts that she would ever recover from her brother's murder and their father being the one to pull the trigger. But with Toni being her shoulder to cry on, she had faith that she would get through it, as long as the Serpent was by her side.

ding

Once again, the moment was interrupted by her phone. She checked her notifications to see a new text message from the Lodge girl.

Veronica: so how are you gonna celebrate your parents getting their asses thrown in jail

"Celebrate?" Toni looked over Cheryl's shoulder to read the text message.

"That girl sure is one addicted party animal, I swear, she'd probably throw a party for an abortion," Cheryl joked as she replied Veronica's message.

Cheryl: maybe a party tonight at the Pembrooke

Veronica: yes ma'am

Cheryl: but don't go overboard with the guest list

Veronica: I can't make any promises

Cheryl slipped her phone in her back pocket before lifting a box of Toni's clothing. Thorn Hill was certainly going to feel much more peaceful and serene from then on, maybe that uncomfortable and eerie feeling will finally go away. The redhead had faith that to fill the empty manor, she had to make her home the Serpent's as well.