First day in hell

Truk lagoon Naval base

Vice Admiral Mathew D. Watson

It's been two weeks since Scarlet had her test, the fact that she was no longer being built made me realize how dull it can be if you have nothing to do in these remote islands. Since then, Enterprise and a few others were added as well to our roster, they kept me company from time to time with the occasional visit from Friedrich showing me a new composition she created. But unfortunately not everyday was as eventful, they had a job to do and there would be times where I would be idling in my cottage. Because of this I managed to clean the house to the point that it looked brand new and yet it still wasn't enough to kill all the time I had during the day. I needed to wait until I was given the orders to finally be able to walk into the command room once more.

Those two weeks were hell for me, like I have said before I was isolated and even though I enjoyed it, I slowly came to realize that now I was the one seeking attention of others, everyone I knew was busy and I was short on cash so heading to the town or to the other islands wasn't an option. Some say I could just waltz into the base due to my renown, but things aren't as simple. There were rules that needed to be followed, otherwise I would end up in trouble. On the bright side I was able to add a considerable amount of flight hours with Houshou's zeros along with some training. Granted I am no Erich Hartmann nor I think i will ever be, but at least I could hold my own against her fighters in mock combat.

I had mixed feelings as I got off the jeep, I felt like a kid on Christmas, yet at the same time I felt like I was going to hurl from the anxiety. The letter of reassignment arrived around noon, by that hour I was able to get my morning workout as well as help Pepper get the radar working once again thanks to Sandy's antics.

The port as well as the lagoon itself seemed much more lively now that the fleet has increased in numbers, it almost felt as if I was in Weno Island rather than at the naval base. The manjuus were hard at work, the girls were having lunch, some were having a well earned R&R at the beach or taking their time studying. It all seemed too peaceful, I knew that things were never going to stay like this. My only wish was that this moment lasted longer so I could enjoy it, too bad that life has a twisted sense of humor.

 My only wish was that this moment lasted longer so I could enjoy it, too bad that life has a twisted sense of humor

"You're late..." the familiar voice of Enterprise said as I walked into the HQ building.

 "Had to wait until I had that letter, otherwise you would have kicked me out if I tried to walk in." I said before I hugged Enterprise, I could feel as her heart began to race as she returned the embrace.

"You aren't wrong, although I could have made an exception for you..." Enterprise said as we parted ways as a cute smile crept on her face.

 "We have rules in place for a reason don't we?" I said before she looked down embarrassed as she tipped her captains cap.

"I'm just glad that you are back Mat..." she said in a soft tone before I patted her on the head.

 "Likewise, I hate to say it but I really missed you girls..." I said as she slowly flustered.