Secrets of an old foxhound

Vice Admiral Matthew D. Watson

If there was one place where I enjoyed staying where there were plenty of other folk, it would have been the city of Saint Petersburg. You had the usual city folk running about with their normal lives as well as country folk selling their produce at the square. It was a perfect blend of and a nice slice of life just like in my time in the Iron Blood's most iconic cities. But unlike those cities, Saint Petersburg was the site of something I could have never imagined in my wildest nightmares.

For little over a year, the city was besieged by those damn monsters. No one could leave nor arrive, we were all surrounded, slowly starving to death one by one in constant fear of the siren air raids. No one was going to help us, not the Royal Navy, not the Eagle Union and certainly not the Iron Blood. We were on our own in a city of snow trying to survive and or praying for some miracle to happen.

The air raids were constant and the constant sound of anti aircraft fire or bombs collapsing yet another building became all to common. But in the midst of all of this, the reoccurring sound of a metronome through speakers could be heard warning us to take cover... and i was the one in charge of such thing.

All of this, happened in a matter of a year. The once bustling and wonderful city was now the ninth circle of hell itself and I was one of many that thought to give up as my thoughts lingered with my times with Eugen. But just like many as well, there was always someone there to keep me pushing me forward.

"Comrade Lieutenant wake up..." a tired voice called out to me as a sharp pain on my leg took my drowsiness away.

 "I-I'm awake! I'm awake!" I said as my binoculars fumbled in my hands, it was the one and only Rossiya who seemed more relieved than angry to see me moving.

 "I-I'm awake! I'm awake!" I said as my binoculars fumbled in my hands,  it was the one and only Rossiya who seemed more relieved than angry to see me moving

"You mustn't fall asleep here commander, the cold will slowly kill you especially in the state that you are in..." Rossiya said placing a warm coat over me, I was numb from the cold let alone having the strength to lift our equipment towards the bunker where it was warm and at the very least safe from an attack.

 "I know... but one of us must keep an eye out, we need to keep that metronome playing every time there is another attack..." I said before she laid next to me a warm cup of black coffee.

"Drink this..." Rossiya said with a slight glare, but I could tell she was worried.

 "... Thanks..." I said as I clumsy grabbed the mug, the coffee was horrible to the taste. But at the very least it gave me enough strength to keep myself awake.

Rossiya looked on from the bombed out hole that my Grandfather's office had from a previous attack. The gentle but deadly cold breeze of the Siberian winter flowed into the office without mercy, but for someone like Rossiya this was mere child's play.

She quietly scanned the area only to be dismayed at the all too common site of frozen bodies being hauled into a cart that was being pulled by the ones who seemed more like walking skeletons than humans. The only thing that kept us going was our will to live, no matter how small it was we kept on going with the only thing bringing us comfort being the sawdust flavored rations we were given.