The Vixen and the cubs

I.J.N Yamato

"Come on~ You're going to miss it!" Matthew called out to me. I was still making my way towards the summit of the island. I was still baffled as to why he wanted to have a sudden hike to the highest point of the island. At the time we were still just dating and the face that he seemed all the more preoccupied with building Lady Izumo made him a little overzealous when it came to impress me.

 "I am not quite nimble as you, then again you are awfully energetic today." I said only for him to freeze, it was clear he was scheming behind my back, perhaps another one of his childish pranks? A surprise dinner like on our first anniversary? I will not know until I catch up to him.

"W-well you're gonna' miss the sunset Snowflake!" he said with his usual cute smile, I could not help but do the same as well.

 "I do not understand why am I compelled to spoil you so often..." I said making due haste to the summit.

As soon as I arrived, I was greeted by the most spectacular view of the entire lagoon. The multiple shades of red to blue painted the scene that seemed as if I was looking at a real life canvas. I could not help but to admire nature once again. I was at a loss for words as we both took a moment to take in the scenery. I could feel his rugged hand intertwined with mine gripping it tightly, I could tell he was nervous. His hand shook far too much for it to be exhaustion.

"... Amazing isn't it...?" Matthew asked with a smile, what was he planning? He seemed far too suspicious...

 "Indeed... although it rather reminds me that the bright red sun of my empire is no more... it is beautiful yet tragic at the same time..." I said tightening my grip on his hand.

"I don't think so..." he said before I turned to him perplexed.

 "Excuse me?" I asked before he began to chuckle.

"What you are saying, happens to everyone. It was just the turn of the rising sun to finally settle. All we could have done was to watch it settle, there is always another sunrise dear." he said causing me to let out a hearty chuckle. He was right after all...

 "I like it better when you laugh, don't think about what happened and just enjoy this moment Yama..." he said causing me to fluster.

 "Is that what you said to all the others as well?" I asked before he as well laughed.

"Hey, it works right?"

 "You are such a rascal... B-but... you are my rascal at the very least..." I said looking away, I was never one who was used to being this affectionate with people. I still found it difficult to be the person I desired.

"And you are my clever oversized... fox!" he said, having to jump to land a quick kiss on my cheek. All I could do was kneed covering my face from the embarrassment before he wrapped his hands around me as he cackled like a madman.

 "I'm sorry! I... couldn't help it!" Matthew said in between laughter before planting another one.

"You are so mean..." I said still embarrassed.

 "I am not done yet... I want you to close your eyes..." he commanded, I merely complied although hesitantly. This only heightened my senses as I began to hear the rustling of clothes as well as the small birds that chirped in the distance.

"O-okay.... o-open your eyes..." he commanded once again, the world for me stopped as soon as I opened my eyes.

In his hands laid a small box the size of which only a ring could be stored, I could not move whatsoever. He explained himself with the confidence of a child attempting to perform in front of hundreds, but I could not focus. Now, I have always been someone who manages to keep her emotions in check, but that day... that was impossible.