Symbols of the past

IJN Yamato

Lady Akagi always used to ask me: Are you afraid of the future?

Of course at the time I could not understand such a vague question, but now I know what she meant by it. Our future was definitely uncertain for all of us, it seemed as if with every step we took things seemed to worsen. But yet at the same time, it seemed as if things were becoming better in its own ironic twisted way.

The question reminds me of the last time I saw my sister, how nervous yet joyous she seemed from what the future had I store for her. How she dreamed of getting the attention of someone that she held dear, how free spirited and optimistic she tried to be in the face of adversity.

In the end, I admired my little sister regardless of how unrefined she seemed. Nothing would stop her from achieving her goal. No matter what people said, no matter what she faced, my little sister carried on.

This is why I believe that she is able to be saved, I know that her untamable free spirit and her refusal to back down is something that the sirens will never be able to break. Yet... at the time, I could not help but feel guilty that this was all my fault.

These thoughts once again woke me up from my deep slumber even after my husband and I tended to each others... 'needs' before we went to sleep together for the last time until my return. Even after a shower, the hot and humid tropical air of the lagoon caused us to sweat profusely even without any layers of clothing. That is when I realized that due to our exhaustion we forgot to turn on the fans. As I stood up I was stopped by Mathew's hand, it was gently wrapped around my waist as he slept soundly almost like a child before i took notice of his scared body once more, i took a long look at them as the very vivid image of a panicked lady nagato crossed my mind as well as the other. 

"No

"No... Don't die... don't leave me too..." Lady Nagato said as i stood there in a trance, her hull engulfed them in flames as Mathew laid on the ground fighting for his life slowly forming a pool of his own blood before she turned to me with the same terror as that day.

"This was your fault... you should have been here!" she said repeatedly as i stood still in shock. 

I do not recall how long i stood there in a trance, but one thing that i remember well was that it felt as real as that day. I turned on the fans as my body shook from this experience, that is when i felt the cold of my almost dried up tears before i swiped them away. That moment convinced me to not returned to my lover's warm embrace. I needed to clear my head once more from this madness yet once again his reasoning came into my mind. Was Matthew right? Was I going to repeat the same mistake as Akagi? Was I really going to risk everything for my little sister?

These questions, I could not get them out of my mind. I decided to dress myself up almost resembling a modern housewife and grabbed my journal before I drove towards the port. The port seemed almost deserted with the exception of some of the manjuu doing their duties while many slept, at first they seemed curious as to who it was entering the port but they immediately returned to their duties when they realized it was me.