Courage of the weary

Vice Admiral Matthew D. Watson

"... and that's what happened..." Emiko said as she sat on a chair guarded by Shoukaku and Helena

It would seem that my recovery was cut short with the ever increasing activity at the port, I knew than an attack would have eventually come to our sector as we anticipated. But never in my wildest dreams I would have expected for a small skirmish to have ended up like this.

 "... So let me get this straight..." I said taking a deep out of frustration.

 "Enterprise is damaged, Zuikaku is hardly conscious, Shoukaku here used up every single aircraft in her inventory, five five six got damaged and Helena almost died because of a single ship..." I said as the trio looked at me embarrassed.

 "Still... given the situation, you all performed admirably... but then again... I still have to question as to why you disobeyed orders from the lieutenant commander..." I said as Emiko froze like a deer staring at a pair of headlights.

 "Shoukaku, Helena. What's your side of the story concerning this?" I asked before the pair stared at each other.

 What's your side of the story concerning this?" I asked before the pair stared at each other

  "Well, I didn't see much... I was more focused on my sister rather than paying attention to this... upstart..." Shoukaku said with a very clear disdain for Emiko who attempted to bury her face in her coat.

   "Silent was..." Helena said hesitating for a moment as Silent and her locked gazes.

   "... She had all the reason to be scared commander, she was too armored for her weapons to make any significant damage and that's not counting the shields she had." Helena said trying to find a rational explanation to all of this.

 "So you would have done the same Helena?" I ask with my usual bulldog like face as I tried to focus. Normally any of the girls would be intimidated by it like Silent or Shoukaku, but Helena knew me all to well not to be concerned.

   "I would have commander, you would have told me to retreat anyways..." Helena said with confidence, it reminded me of how close our relationship has been through the years. Even Katie gets along with her which is no easy task to pull with that crazy firecracker.

 "Fair enough... So is this the mystery ship that we are looking for... huh..." I said thoughtfully before taking notice that our resident composer seemed as if she had something to say.

"We are very lucky to have survived..." Emiko said with a faint shiver as Friedrich observed her intently.

 "... Is there something we should be aware of?" I asked as the rumble of a jeep could be heard outside.

"... That monster... i-i..." Emiko stuttered as the all to familiar sense of dread began to overwhelm her. I stood up a little to quickly for my brain to process, but my will won over my condition.