{CHAPTER 4}

°

°

IT WAS EASY TO SPOT THE MIRKWOOD FOREST FROM ABOVE SINCE IT COVERED VAST STRETCHES OF LAND. The harder part for Rhaenyra was to find a place to land and doing this sitting on Drogon's back was not always the easiest task. She was aware that the Elven Kingdom of Mirkwood would be located in the northern parts of the forest, but Mirkwood was a vast woodland with seemingly no end. The only promising thing Rhaenyra had spotted was some stretches of terrain that appeared more mountainous, it seemed promising so in that direction Rhaenyra and Drogon flew. 

But there was something about the forest that made both Rhaenyra uneasy. Drogon felt it too, since he refused to fly too close to the ground. There was certainly something strange going in on in that forest and those thoughts were confirmed when a shrill shriek was heard coming from deep inside it. It made Drogon respond with an angry roar, sensing that the source of the sound must be something dangerous. 

Rhaenyra scrunched her eyebrows together, confused that Drogon would be so angry with something he couldn't see. What was hiding in this forest other than the elves?

There were barely any clearings in the forest large enough for Drogon to comfortably land and the combination of having been flying continuously for several hours on end with the sounds coming from the forest only served to fuel Drogon's irritation. He then found the least overgrown section of the forest and landed right ontop of the trees, taking them down with him as his giant body completely crushed them. His tail swished around behind him, smashing down several more trees.

Drogon's red eyes swept over the edges of the forest that now surrounded him and Rhaenyra. She didn't dare try and dismount him until Drogon had finished this little inspection of his. He smelled some trees closer, the mere scent of them was disturbing enough to have him recoil with a hiss. What is it with this forest that causes Drogon to act like this?

Once it appeared Drogon was finished with his inspection of their immediate surroundings, Rhaenyra slowly climbed down his back, this time it was her eyes sweeping over the newly formed glade Drogon had created upon landing. The longer Rhaenyra stared into the forest and observed the closest trees, the more she was sure there was something wrong.

Rhaenyra had her bow and a quiver filled with arrows and was ready to venture out on her own into the forest, but Drogon's low and desperate hissing halted her. She looked over her shoulder at him, the black dragon flaring his red frills, scared and nervous for his rider the further away from him she moved. He didn't want her to go into this forest alone

The Dragon Queen reached out with her right hand, laying it on Drogon's snout. It calmed him down enough for him to cease his sad growling.

"No need to worry." Rhaenyra lent closer as she whispered to him, giggling when she felt Drogon push his whole head closer to her middle, wanting more contact with her, "I can do this Drogon, I'm a dragon just like you and I'm not afraid."