{CHAPTER 11}

°

°

THE PEOPLE OF LAKETOWN BID THEIR GOODBYES TO THEIR RUINED HOMES. Rhaenyra joined some older women from the town to take care of a group of children who had been orphaned after Smaug's attack. Her heart broke and it ached for the little children as she looked upon them, tears streaming down their cheeks as they cried for 'Mama' and 'Papa'. Reality had not sat in yet for them and Rhaenyra knew it would take a while for them to fully understand that their mother and father would never be able to be with them ever again. 

One little girl in particular had taken a liking to Rhaenyra. Her hair was as black as charcoal, and she had been constantly clutching a small doll covered in sot in her right hand since Rhaenyra first saw her. The little girl's name was Rosie, she had told Rhaenyra it was after her mother's favourite flower and that was all the girl managed to get out before burst in tears again. 

Rhaenyra picked her up and carried Rosie on her hip, hugging the girl close to her as they walked together amongst the people of Laketown as the adults gathered what they could before setting off to build camp in the ruins of Dale. Bard had told Rhaenyra that Thorin has made a promise to the people of Laketown, that he would give them a share of the treasure when they take back the mountain in exchange for shelter and weapons. 

Before the march to Dale was set to begin Rhaenyra took notice of a group of particularly short men, more exactly a group of dwarves pushing through the crowds towards the river leading up to the mountain, hoping to find a boat that  could take them over.

"Surprised to see you lot here." Rhaenyra raised her voice over the chatter, feeling Rosie snuggle her head deeper into the scruff of Rhaenyra's neck.

The group of dwarves, the brothers Fili and Kili along with Bofur and Oin took notice of her and stopped moving, adverting their eyes with sheepish expressions. 

"Why were you left behind?"

Kili spoke up, too shy to look at Rhaenyra directly, "My wound wasn't getting better, and they chose to stay behind with me."

His wound had already healed? Rhaenyra may not be an expert healer, but she is sure that the poison from a Morgul shaft doesn't simply vanish overnight. 

"And your wound has healed already?"

"Yes and no." Kili had a hard time finding the right words, "Two elves from Mirkwood found us, Tauriel and Prince Legolas. She was the one who healed my leg."

Legolas and Tauriel was here not long ago? Rhaenyra's purple eyes wildly searched the crowds for Legolas' easily recognizable silver blond head or the flaming red head that belonged to Tauriel but came up with nothing.  She half expected to see Thranduil's tall frame walk towards her for a moment but realized that it would never happen. Rhaenyra remained tense, rearranging the grip she had on little Rosie on her hip. 

Maybe if Rhaenyra goes with them to the mountain she would be able to speak with Thorin on the people of Laketown's behalf. Hopefully they would be able to cooperate and build up Dale for the men and Rhaenyra bringing this message to Thorin would speed it all along.