{CHAPTER 5}

°

°

MOST OF MIRKWOOD CONSISTED OF ITS VAST FOREST, BUT CLOSEST TO THE PALACE AND INSIDE ITS WALLS THERE WERE SOME BEAUTIFUL GARDENS. The day after Rhaenyra had enjoyed a dinner with the Elven King, she found herself walking those gardens. While doing so she also did her best to ignore the pressing and intense looks she felt coming from the elves living in Mirkwood. They looked at her as if she was some sort of exotic creature they had never seen before, a few elves kept their distance from her, taking on a more reserved approach. To Rhaenyra it didn't matter, soon enough Thorin and his company would be here and she would be on her way, the possibility for her staying in Mirkwood for a longer period of time is highly unlikely. 

The Dragon Queen found herself a quiet corner of the gardens by a pond of colorful fishes where she sat down on a small bench, letting out a deep breath. Where Drogon was right now, she didn't know, but suspected he was satisfied enough with Rhaenyra's protection that he hadn't flown off to wreak havoc and burn something down, prompting the elves to come running Rhaenyra's way cursing at her and her dragon. 

Just like the night before, Rhaenyra had donned the white dress she had been given, her normal clothes laying in a bundle in the corner of her chambers and since Rhaenyra liked the dress it wasn't much of a problem to her. Though if she wanted to ride Drogon, it would be better to have something else than a pretty dress of silk. Perhaps she could persuade Thranduil for something better to wear.

Rhaenyra had been sitting quietly and was just thinking, once taking a break from it and started to hum a Valyrian hymn her mother used to sing to her when she was little and had trouble falling asleep, all while her eyes had locked on the colorful fishes in the pond. After the hymn was finished, silence once more fell over the little corner of the garden Rhaenyra had found herself in. She wonderd if it was time to leave her quiet place and find Thranduil, to speak with him about what Gandalf asked her too in the first place. Rhaenyra had just stood from her place on the bench and was about to turn around and head inside the palace and search for the Elven King, but was met with a broad chest, walking straight into this person and losing her balance from the surprise.

It was Thranduil.

He had faster reflexes than Rhaenyra first thought and swiftly caught her and saved her from completely losing her balance and falling flat on her face, holding her in a soft grip close to his torso.  She shyly, with a pink blush on her cheeks, glanced up at the Elven King through her dark lashes with embarrassment coursing through her entire body as  a result of her clumsy actions. Why hadn't she paid more attention to her surroundings?!

"I'm sorry - I should have been looking where I was going." Rhaenyra stuttered out, her cheeks growing into a darker shade of pink as she took a step away from Thranduil, doing her best to avoid his gaze and save herself from further embarrassment.