Chapter 40

"You brought Anne a chocolate bar!" Mary exclaimed as they got in the car.
"So what if I did?" Catherine questioned.
"You didn't get me one! And I'm your daughter!" Mary retorted.
"And I'm your step-daughter!" Katherine added.
"And Anne's my mother!" 
"She owes us one more than she does you!" Mary replied speaking to Elizabeth.
"I do not owe anyone anything!" Catherine interjected, "Just this once, we'll stop off on the way home, but Katherine, don't think that we're not getting your brother one as well, "
"But he's not here, he doesn't have to know, "
"You didn't have to know I bought Anne one, " Katherine then decided it may be in her best interest to stop talking about that particular subject.

T I M E S K I P

Catherine locked the car while Mary unlocked the house.
"Mary, you left the keys on the outside of the door! Again!" She shouted to the girls upstairs as she chucked the keys in her bag.
"Sorry, Mum!" Came the reply.

"Gosh, I'm related to too many children!" Catherine exclaimed as she flopped onto the sofa.
"What do you mean?" Anne asked already sitting with Cathy.
"Somehow Mary found out I bought you a chocolate bar when you wouldn't shut up about how amazing you are for coming up with Meme day..."
"Aww thanks Catherine, I'm really quite a genius aren't I?"
"No no that's not just no, anyways Mary then said it was unfair that I didn't buy her one because she's my daughter. Then Katherine thought I needed reminding that she was my step-daughter so then that rule also applies to Edward..."
"Edward's your step-daughter? I thought he was..."
"No Anne, he's my step-son. How thick can one person be?" Anne used her fingers to measure the side of her waist and held them up to Catherine.
"No again Anne, that's not what I mean, oh gosh, anyway, I couldn't just buy chocolate for all the kids except Elizabeth can I? So I cashed out on 4 chocolate bars!"

15 minutes later, Anne decided she wanted to annoy Catherine again.
"Catherine?"
"Yeah, Anne?" Catherine replied from the kitchen.
"Can you get me a snack?"
"Yeah, what do you want?"

"A chocolate bar...."