Chapter 54

"Jane, sweetheart, go wait in my room, " Cath whispered soothingly, her voice soft and warming.

In response, Jane smiled weakly and gave a simple nod. She knew she shouldn't let the fear devour her, yet she already had.

"Ed, love, I'm going to put you to bed, " Catherine whispered as she crouched down to the boy's level, offering her hand out slightly. "Go on Jane, we'll talk in a bit, yeah?"

Once the boy's door had been shut and latched, Edward clambered onto his bed, Cath sitting at the foot of the it.

"Cath, what's wrong with Mama?" Ed whimpered, curled up whilst nuzzling the edge of the duvet against his top lip.

"Um, so, your Mama. She doesn't remember anything other than Kit-Kat and Me. And I think she's really scared, " Catherine smiled sympathetically as she watched Edward fold the side of the pillow to thicken it. "Your Mama does that, " She smiled, thinking back to before she passed.

"Really?" He asked, putting his hand under his head before relaxing.

Cath chuckled to herself at the young boy's actions. "She does that too, " She giggled. "Both are annoying but it's cute when she does it."

"Cath? Will when's Mama actually coming back?"

Cath raised her eyebrows and tilted her head to the side slightly.

"I mean, she's here, but it's not her. She's scared and quiet, not bubbly and happy. She's reserved and wouldn't talk instead of talking to everyone making them all feel included. She only talked to you and even that was a whisper. It's not Mama, She's not herself. And I'm scared for her, " The nine-year-old admitted. "When will she be back?"

Cath sighed, bringing a few tears to the front of her eyes. She laid down on her side next to her step-son.

"I don't know, hun. I don't know, "