Double Life

Diana

"You haven't washed your hands today ... well ... sporadically at least." I said to Aeron as we just listened to a classical music podcast where the anchor spoke after each piece. It soothed Aeron so I didn't mind.

"Well," he began scooting closer to me, "you're distracting me." We were laying on his bed and he had his head resting on my stomach. I stroked my fingers through his hair and sometimes he hummed or groaned. He wrapped his arm around my thigh and began to caress it with strokes from his strong thumb.

Over the course of forty-eight hours, this crazy man and I have grown closer than I thought we would. I had no idea the influence I had over him.

He was so kind and flirty. He truly impressed me with all the issues he had.

I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him close. "Do you want to stay over again? Maybe we can go to the store this time," he lifted his head up and he looked incredibly cute with his boyish grin and his averted eyes on my lips. I giggled and he crept his fingers under my shirt. He pulled it up and began giving me little kisses.

Suddenly, his phone dinged and he stopped abruptly. The air suddenly turned cold as he untangled us and reached over me to grab his phone off the nightstand. He looked at it for a second and narrowed his eyes.

He cursed under his breath and hopped off the bed. He went to his closet but then stopped.

"Is everything okay?" I asked hesitantly. He turned his head slightly but not enough for me to see his eyes.

"You have to go. Sorry." He said without any character in his tone. I felt unwanted and useless for the first time being with him.

"O—okay." I climbed off the bed and took off his shirt. I folded it on his bed and put my dress back on. During this he opened his closet and pulled out a giant, black bag big enough to fit a body or two inside.

Before he unzipped it, he turned to me, finally.

"Actually, you can stay here if you'd like."

"Yeah?" I folded my arms. "Where are you going?"

"I have work. But ... I'd like to see you when I come back ... " I smiled and the air was becoming a little thicker to breathe.

I shyly swaggered over to Aeron and he stood up. The memory of his rudeness suddenly dispersed from my mind and all I wanted was to be wrapped in his arms.

He held out his arms and I folded myself into his thin chest. I took in his scent and relished it. "Here," he moved and took his black sweatshirt off. He handed it to me and I gladly pulled it over my dress. I wanted his sweats too but figured they might be too small.

He kissed me then walked into the bathroom. I sat down and began reading a random book off of a shelf of novels in his room.

I heard the shower turn on and not long after did it stop. He came out and turned to his closet.

"Would you mind if you make me a snack in the kitchen? Before I go," he asked.

"Uh, sure," I jumped up and went to his kitchen. I looked in his cupboards and remembered seeing the spices this morning. I opened the fridge and remembered what was in there too. Not much. "How about I make you some spaghetti?" I echoed through the house.

"Sounds good," he called back.

Aeron

I slipped on a pair of black skinny jeans, a black turtleneck, and a bullet proof vest. I strapped on knives to my side and slipped knives into my vest. I also placed a gun in a holster in my chest. I clipped in some extra magazines to my waist and lower back. I slipped into black socks that were sweat resistant then tied combat boots around my feet. I grabbed giant wind-breaking, black pants and slipped them over my other pants, hiding my sinful life from Diana and the rest of the world.

I slipped on a black jacket then got down on my knees. I loaded my sniper up and my shotgun. I stuffed them into a black bag then hoisted myself out of the room. I came out into the living room loving the smell of dinner.

I walked into the garage and loaded up my bike before Diana could see. I then slipped back inside and laughed when I caught her sexily dancing to music playing off her phone.

"Save that for when I'm in the room," I said, coming up from behind and interrupting the movements of her curvy body. I grasped my sweater and pulled her against me.

"I'm just practicing for when you do get home." She got me there. I love her confidence.

I kissed every inch of her neck and was afraid I'd never leave if she hadn't stopped me. We ate her delicious spaghetti and I felt like I'd gained ten pounds being myself and not him in just these forty-eight hours.

I then kissed her goodbye and left.

As I sat and waited in a dark, abandoned building in downtown, I couldn't keep the voices from seeping in. Only when she's in my arms or I in hers can they not find me. The smell of gasoline and mold scurried to my nose and all I wanted was to bury my nose in Diana's chest, or her hair, or her stomach. Anything that would let me smell that sweaty, blossomy perfume of hers.

Man, three days with that girl and she's got me thinking like a fool.

<<she's gonna leave you when she finds out.>>

A woman's raspy voice reminded me. I frowned and yearned for a normal life where Diana wouldn't have to worry about me risking my life all the time. She is going to find out. She's going to find out that I'm a hit man for a living with the feds after me and a lot of big people that want to see me dead. How long will I be able to keep this up before she sees who I really am?

Oh but spending all of last night with her and sleeping in with her and kissing her ... and touching her ...

I looked at my black gloved hands. I thought of how much I needed my hands grasping her love handles instead of the trigger of a shotgun.

The sound of gravel shifting under tires brought me back to my scary reality. I jumped up and lined up my aim, blocking out all my feelings for the Hawaiian girl and my insanity with a wicked smile.