Meeting the Parents

Diana

"It's Thanksgiving this weekend," I said to Aeron in the library. He nodded. "My parents want me to visit them." He nodded again. I squeezed his hand and he looked at me with an apologetic smile. "Lily and I have been planning on seeing our family since the beginning of the year, on Thanksgiving and Christmas." My thumb caressed his hand and he slowly began to catch along. "I want them to meet you and you to meet them." He looked at me like a lost puppy.

"Meet your parents?" He asked nervously. "But wouldn't they hate me?"

"Why would they hate you?"

He shrugged. "Oh, I don't know. Do they really want to meet their daughter's crazy boyfriend who has a ton of issues?

"I already told my mom about you."

"You did?"

"Well, I told her that I had a boyfriend." He rolled his eyes. "Please?" I brought our hands to my lips and I kissed his knuckles. "Please, baby?"

"Fine!" I squealed and received "shhhh's" as a response from the library. "Where do they live?"

"California."

"California? That's across the country!" I looked down shyly.

"Yeah, I guess you could say I really wanted to get away from them."

"Why?" He leaned on the table with his elbow and head in hand. "Who's the one keeping all the secrets now?" I rolled my eyes at him and knew that nothing I could say would be as dramatic as his life story from the other night.

"I know I've been the one pressuring you to tell me more about yourself but you haven't really been asking me about me." He straightened up and apologized.

"I've really messed up haven't I?" He asked. He shook his head and sighed. "Tell me about your family, Diana,"

"I grew up in California, same with Lily. I have a large family because we all want to stay knit tight, or at least my grandma does. I was born in Hawaii along with a few of my other siblings and cousins. But then the economy began to get sour and our grandma moved everyone to California. But we moved to Nevada City and I just wonder till this day why she picked the smallest town in California to live in. And it's nowhere near the beach!" Aeron chuckled. "I hated the small town and didn't want my grandma's watchful eye over me all the time."

"So you moved across the country?" I nodded. "Why didn't you go somewhere where there was surfing?" I shrugged. "I wanted the city life but I just wanted to focus on school but still see the ocean." I shrugged again and sighed. "I guess that doesn't make any sense."

Aeron moved a lick of my hair and kissed my cheek. "You're saying that to a guy who hears voices and has to wash his hands all the time." I giggled.

"You're right. You're much crazier than me." He let go of our hand hold and slithered his around my waist.

"Crazy in love with you," he kissed my neck and I giggled for him to stop. After receiving more "shhhh's" he finally stopped but asked if we could leave.

Aeron

As I sat on the airplane with Diana at my side and the world below me, I was comforted by the thought that Hunter was behind me with Lily. I didn't want to go meet Diana's parents and family alone. But luckily, Hunter and Lily felt as though they're relationship was comfortable enough for him to meet them too. I took in a deep breath and Diana took hold of my hand.

The entire flight to California from Massachusetts was long and I wasn't prepared for the jet leg that I'd be feeling once in Nevada City. Diana and I watched movies off of each other's phones and took a nap with her on my shoulder and my head on her's. But we soon landed in Sacramento.