Chapter 1 - The Meeting

"Hey, are you okay?" I felt a hand on my leg as her voice brushed lightly in my ears, taking in my surroundings.

The long road ahead of us stretched on until it stopped at the mansion doors. The windows were coated in long strands of ivy, the dark green leaves standing out like neon lights on a Christmas tree. 

"Yeah, just nervous, the place is a mansion Kate," I replied as I turned my head to look at my aunt.

She gave me a smile.

"I know but don't worry, it's just going to be me, you, Mrs Grose and Flora,"

---

As Kate and I walked the grounds of the untouched mansion, we stumbled across the caretaker, Mrs Grose.

"Ah, you must be Kate, and you must be Elizabeth, I'm Mrs Grose the caretaker," An older woman eyed us as she chopped roses from the bush beside her, the red flowers appeared to be as red as blood.

Kate and I traded a look of curiosity as the older woman's eyes slowly left us. 

"You'll most likely find Flora down at the stables, however when your working with her she will be in the lounge," She began, "I suppose you already know your duties with her," Mrs Grose spoke.

As the woman spoke I took my chance to get a look at her; she seemed to be in her seventies and wore loose clothing. Her grey hair was tied back messily, loose strands cupping her ageing face. I noticed her bright blue eyes seemed to be turning grey, but not due to age. They seemed dull and lacked life. 

I continued to stare at the caretaker as I felt pressure on my right arm. 

"Hm," I heard Kate mumble as I looked at her with a dumbfounded expression. 

"It will just be you and Flora whilst Miles is at boarding school," Mrs Grose said as her eyes met Kate's, "You'll find journals from the last nanny, Miss Jessel, in the lounge, they should help you," Mrs Grose said as she turned and walked away into the mansion.

Mrs Grose walked us through to the kitchen. On the short walk to the kitchen, I took a chance to take in my surroundings once again. The walls appeared old, the wallpaper beginning to peel along the skirting board and damp patches appearing around the old picture frames. 

"Sorry, but do you have stables here?" I asked Mrs Grose, a shy tone occupying my voice as I entered the kitchen.

"Yes, that's where you will find Flora,"

---

As I walked down to the stables alone, I felt eyes on me. It was like I was being followed, maybe it was just Flora? 

Once I arrived at the stables, I went and found Flora almost immediately.

"Who are you?" Flora asked in her high pitched voice.

"I-I'm Elizabeth, your nanny's niece" I forced a smile as Flora sat on the concrete wall beside me.

I turned my attention to the horse before me, rather than the black horse thrashing about in it's stable to my left. 

"Who's this then?" I asked as I fussed a tall, grey horse.

"That's Delilah, she was my mother's horse," Flora said.

I studied the horse. She had long grey mane with a grey forelock covering her face. Her dark brown eyes locked with mine.

I began making horse noises to make Flora laugh as Delilah nudged my pocket with her muzzle.

"She wants your apple," I looked at the giggly girl. 

"How do you know I have an apple in my pocket, Flora?" I asked her, not expecting an answer.