Chapter 4 - Blame

"Shit," I mumbled under my breath as Kate dove into the pool, after who she thought was Flora.

"Hey!" I heard a girl yell in a hushed voice from behind me. Before I could spin around, someone grabbed me from behind and pulled me behind the bush beside me. I knew it had to be Miles as he stood at the same height as me. 

Muffled shouts and squeals were heard from below his hand as he grabbed me and held me, placing me down on the cold, damp grass behind the large hedge. 

"What the hell is wrong with you two?" I asked, raising my voice slightly at the two children who stood before me.

"Shh!" Flora whispered as she sat next to me, placing a finger on my lips. I looked up at the girl, grabbing her hand and gently pushing her away from me, a confused frown on my face.

As I attempted to stand, I felt pressure on my shoulder as Miles pushed me back down next to Flora as she knelt beside me. I glared up at him as he stood before me, glancing between his hand which rested on my shoulder and his eyes. 

"You'll ruin the plan, Elizabeth," He spoke as he knelt before me. I stared him down, hating him at the moment.

"Kate is going to blame me for this, Miles, not you or Flora and she certainly won't find it as funny as you two do," I said with a sincere tone occupying my voice. 

He smirked at my comment, "And why would she blame you, Elizabeth?" Miles asked as Flora stood up, joining him in looking down at me.

"I'm going to see if Kate is out of the pool yet," She said as she scurried off, avoiding the tension Miles and I had created. My eyes remained on his.

"That's my business," I replied as he continued to look down at me, feeling the judgment which occupied his eyes wash over me.

"Depends on how you define business really, doesn't it?" He asked. I huffed at his response and attempted to stand again. Once I was on my feet, he mimicked my moves and placed himself before me. 

He grabbed my wrist roughly, "Ruin this, you'll be sorry," He whispered in my ear as he leaned his head next to mine. I felt his warm breath collide with my ear as he spoke. 

"Is that a threat?" I asked him, looking up at him as he moved his head centimetres from mine. He threw a sarcastic smile at me as he loosened his grasp upon me before he walked off.

I sighed in relief, "Thank god," I swept my hair back, letting the loose strands of hair glide between my fingers. Just as I became on the verge of being relaxed, I heard yelling and shouting come from the poolside.

"We got you! We got you!" I heard Flora squeal as I approached the siblings from behind.

"What is-"

"Oh, Elizabeth, this was your idea was it not?" Miles turned and asked me as I stood between the two.

I looked up at him, throwing him the worst death glare I could muster up. I threw the back of my hand on his chest, mouthing the words 'shut up' on his direction.

"I don't know what's going on here, but Kate I can assure you-" I began as I diverted my gaze towards Kate, who was dripping wet in her pyjamas and held a stern glare at me.

"Spare me Elizabeth! I thought you'd grown up, obviously, I was wrong," My aunt began, "In the house now, all of you!" Kate yelled, turning and walking away from us, Flora following.

"Hey, what's your beef with me? Because ever since I have arrived here, you've seemed to hate my guts" I raised my voice in frustration at the boy as he smiled before me. "Oh, I'm glad I amuse you"