Chapter 13 - Proof

I sat in the backseat of my aunt's car along with Flora as Miles occupied the passengers seat.

"Ready?" Kate asked as she diverted her gaze towards Miles, then at Flora and I. We all gave her a slight nod in response.

Kate plunged the car in to first gear and released the break. I glanced at Flora as she began to squirm as if she were uncomfortable in her seat.

"Flora, what's wrong?" I asked as I noticed I had also grabbed Miles' attention, not just Flora's.

The girl stared at me with terrified eyes, her hands gripping my jacket.

"Kate, stop the car," I raised my voice at my aunt as I continued to stare at the girl beside me, who had her arms wrapped around my torso.

"Elizabeth, don't be silly, we're fine," Kate replied in response. I looked at Miles who genuinely looked scared for his sister. His fearful eyes met mine for a second.

"Stop the car," Miles eventually spoke. I noticed Kate's expression becoming both annoyed and confused.

"Miles, no, we're almost at the gate,"

"Miles! I'm gonna die!" Flora almost screamed from between my arms. I shushed her as she pushed past me, holding her body over my knee's, as she attempted to open the door.

"Flora!" I yelled as I pulled her back in my arms. I continued to shush the girl as Miles yelled at Kate once again.

"Stop the car or I'll fucking kill you!" My breath got caught in my throat as the boy threatened my aunt. I stared at him as the car came to a sudden halt.

I watched at Miles hopped out of the vehicle and ran around to my door, swinging it open so Flora could jump out. She hugged her brother before running in to the wood's.

I went to step out of the car, but Miles slammed the door shut before I could. I gasped in response, just nearly being crushed by the door.

I watched as the teenager slammed his hands on Kate's window.

"I know what you're afraid of, keeping the lights on won't keep you safe" Miles held a glare at Kate as he spoke. He turned and walked away as he heard Flora calling his name.

I exhaled and sunk back in to my seat.

"This one is on you," Kate said as she turned in her seat to face me.

I held a frown in her direction.

"How is this my fault? You're the one who didn't stop the car, Kate,"

"And, you're the one who wanted to go in the first place," She shook her head as the engine started up again.

I sighed, shaking my head at her.

---

Kate had dropped me off at the mansion before leaving the property.

"So, another one gone eh? I knew this would happen" I heard a familiar voice approach me from behind. I was stood on the steps outside of the mansion, staring at Kate's car in the distance, which was gradually getting further away.

"Oh yeah, I forgot, you're fucking psychic" I spoke as I stormed past the boy, walked back into the mansion.

"What's your problem?" Miles asked as he shut the door behind him, following me upstairs to my bedroom.

"Oh, maybe it's because I only have Kate left, and she's just gone and left me here, not caring whether I'm okay or not... But, I suppose that's nothing new" After I had finished speaking, I swung open the door to my room and slammed it shut behind myself.