Chapter 12 - Fear

I walked out of the lounge after Miles' response. I made my way to the kitchen. As I was filling up a glass of water, I felt a hand press on my shoulder.

I spun around, still holding the glass.

"Y'know, you should really quit being scared of me," Miles smirked as he stood inches away from me.

"I'm not scared of you, Miles"

"If that were true then you wouldn't be having nightmares of myself... Trying to kill you" He paused slightly for what I assume was for 'dramatic effect'.

I looked up at him. He grabbed the glass I was holding and placed it on the counter, placing his hands either side of myself.

"H-how do you know about that?"

"Someone told me"

"Let me guess, it was Quint?"

His eyes shot wide open as he glared at me.

"Y-you know he's dead, right?" The boy began to stutter at the name, or maybe it was because he knew I wasn't scared anymore.

I chuckled. "Yes, but do you?" I pushed his arm away from me slightly so I was able to walk past him, a grin still coating my face. He grabbed my arm suddenly.

"What do you mean?" He spoke once again. I refused to answer, leaving him a frustrated mess.

---

"Hey, Kate?" I said, grabbing my aunt's attention from the hallway. She directed her attention towards me as she stood in the room beside myself, holding sheets of paper in her hands.

"What?" She spoke in response.

I leaned my head and shoulder on the door frame.

"I thought we could go out today at some point, y'know, we could go get some ice cream at the-" I was cut off mid sentence by a woman's voice, no other than Mrs Grose.

"No, you both know Flora doesn't leave the property,"

I held a cold stare at the older woman.

"I never said Flora had to come," I snapped, more violently than I initially anticipated.

"I'd like to go," The three of us snapped our heads towards a teenage boy as he approached us in the hallway.

Mrs Grose sighed.

"Well, you can't just leave Flora all by herself, can you?" Mrs Grose held a quick glare in my direction before approaching Kate in the room, leaving only Miles by my side.

I looked towards the boy.

"You want to go?" I asked the teen.

He nodded in response.

"Yeah, I think it'll be fun," He held a smile that said 'trouble' at me. I turned around and began making my way towards Kate and Mrs Grose, who were having a heated conversation.

"Look, Flora isn't leaving the property Kate," Mrs Grose spoke in a frustrated voice.

"Oh, it won't be for long," Kate said, diverting her attention to me, "It's just ice cream at the beach,"

"Flora?" Mrs Grose spoke as the little girl entered the room, Miles accompanying her, "You want to stay here and play, don't you?"

Flora smiled in response.

"Wouldn't you rather, " I knelt down to be eye level with Flora. "Go to the beach and get some ice cream?" I held her arms as she began debating what to do.

"Flora, don't feel pressured," Mrs Grose butted in once again. I rolled my eyes at her.

"Come here," Miles said as I stood up. He grasped his sister's hand, turning to face a mirror.

Kate and I stood in awe as we watched the boy.

"Will you keep us safe?" Miles spoke as he stared into the mirror.

"Kate and Elizabeth too?" Flora interjected.

Miles repeated what she had said to the mirror.

"He says you have nothing to worry about," He spoke once again as he turned to his sister. She giggled as she turned and ran out of the room.

Mrs Grose huffed, following the girl.

I turned to Miles.

"He?"

"I'm sorry?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"You said he,"

I heard Kate laugh from behind me.

"That's what you're concerned about? Well anyway, nice job Miles," Kate spoke as she held his shoulder before exiting the room.

The boy turned his attention back to me.

"You think I was talking to Quint,"

"No, I think you're nuts," I crossed my arms.

He laughed at my response.

"No you don't, stop trying to cover your ass for once, you know he's still here," He smirked at me. I gulped at his response.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, and I bet you're still petrified of me too," I stepped back away from him, as he spoke, holding my stare at him.

"Prove it,"

---

A/N

Ooh, cliff hanger...so I hope y'all are enjoying the story so far. The next chapter things are going to begin to get good, with the whole Quint thing... Anyways, enjoy!