Chapter 10 - Strike One

"Okay, okay," I spoke, a shaky voice leaving my lips. I could feel his warm, moist breath on my face as he hovered his body over mine. He pushed down harder on my wrists, almost like he was forcing me to talk.

"I'm sorry, I-I took out Sampson this morning for a ride but he spooked and ran off, I don't know where he is," I confessed.

Miles frowned heavily at me, holding his lips in a pout.

Before I could say anything else, I felt his hand strike my face. I gasped at his sudden action, my chin touching my shoulder.

"Why would you do that? I told you he's mine, you ask me for permission to ride him," He spoke in a low tone. I was so scared of what he'd do to me in the moment, he could kill me if he was truly pissed.

"M-Miles, I'm so s-sorry," I apologised stuttering, holding back the tears from the stinging pain in my cheek.

He held his stare at my face, "You saw him, didn't you?"

I shot him a confused look.

"What? Saw who?" I said, attempting not to show I was lying. Although I was terrified of the teenager, he'd think I was crazy of I said I had seen a ghost, or maybe he was alive.

"N-nevermind," The boy released his grip from me and darted to the door. I slowly sat up right, staring at my purple wrists. "I'm going to go find my horse, I suggest you don't follow me,"

I looked at him as he gripped the door handle.

I cupped my face, still feeling the sting from where he had slapped me. "Miles, I can help you look,"

"No, and don't get anyone else involved in this, you've done enough,"

With that, he bolted out of the room before I could even contemplate responding.

"Fuck!" I screeched, throwing my head against the wooden bed frame. I held my head there, my mind thinking over and over what had happened this morning.

Would he kill me? What was racing through his mind when he slapped me? Who did I see in the forest?

My mind was racing through thoughts and feelings when I heard my door fly open.

I gasped at the sudden noise, causing me to look up at the open door.

"H-hello?" I stuttered. I could feel a nervous feeling rising in my gut as I approached the door slowly.

I poked my head out of the doorway, but only to see no one. I sighed and made my way to the bathroom.

I locked the door then peered into the dirty mirror.

"Oh my-" I began as I saw my reflection. I had a small, red mark on my left cheek and my forehead had a small gash masking it. Dried blood coated my cheek beneath the wound.

I looked down at my wrists, the bruising becoming more dominant now. They were a faint black and purple.

I grabbed a cloth and wiped away the dried crimson from my forehead and cheek, leaving the dried blood around the wound.

I sighed and exited the bathroom, only to be greeted with and angry Kate.

"Start talking,"

"Context Kate,"

She huffed at me.

"Miles said you lost his horse, why were you even riding Sampson in the first place?"

Fuck, I'm gonna kill him.

"Wait he told you that? Were is he?"

"He's down at the forest, answer me Elizabeth!" Kate yelled her response at me as I ran down the mansion steps beside me. "Eliza-"

Kate's shouts were cut off as I slammed the front door shut behind myself.

I ran towards the forest, looking everywhere for Miles and his horse. Nothing.

Once I arrived at the forest, I made my way slowly down the wide path. I could feel broken twigs and sticks below my converse, the leaves crackling.

"Miles?!" I shouted louder than I anticipated.

I whipped my head around at the sound of a stick snapping. I gasped as I could see a figure before me. He wore a black blazer and a striped jumper beneath it.

"Miles, why the hell did you tell Kate?" I questioned the boy as I approached him with caution. I could feel his eyes on me, but not just his.

"I didn't,"