Chapter 16 - Pressure

"Miles, please" I responded, breathless from what he had just said. Killed them? How did he know that? How the hell did he know any of this? I swamped myself in thoughts.

He smirked, holding his hands on my waist and pulling me into him. I looked to the side as he lifted his hand to brush a lock of my hair behind my ear.

"Why?"

"Why what?" I looked up at him, "Why did I 'kill' them?"

"You did kill them, Elizabeth, I had a conversation with Kate when you first arrived"

"Oh, and she just openly told you about me?"

"Well, I got in her head," He smirked. I began squirming in his grasp. "Just like how I've gotten into yours"

"You're not in my head, Miles," I stared at him, holding eye contact, "As a matter of fact, I'm in your head"

I pulled away from him, slowly beginning to circle him.

"What do you mean?" He furrowed his brow.

"Maybe," I placed my hands on his shoulders as I remained behind him, leaning my lips to his ear, "What Kate told you isn't true, could be a cover story, or maybe I'm just as crazy as you"

I smiled when he began stuttering.

"I-it's true, I-I know it is, you killed them" He spun around to face me.

"Keep telling yourself that" I smirked at the boy. He frowned heavily at me before shoving me down to the sofa. He placed his hands on either side of my shoulders, hovering his body over mine.

"I'm not scared of you, Elizabeth" He spoke, his voice cracking as he said my name. I placed my hands on his shoulders.

I whispered, "You should be". The boy flinched at my response. He stared at me, a wide-eyed expression twisting his features.

"Now, where is that letter?" I questioned Miles as he continued to pin me to the sofa.

"Why don't you come and get it?" He asked, although, I feel it was more of a rhetorical question.

He jumped off of me and bolted for the door, only resulting in him bouncing off of someone. He plopped onto the floor in a swift motion.

I jogged over to him, peering down at him with judgmental eyes, "You hit an imaginary wall? Or does that only relate to Quint?"

"You think he's imaginary, do you? I thought you knew he was real?" He spoke. I eyed him, offering him my hand and ignoring his question.

He slapped it away before beginning to slowly walk back towards the stairs.

"Answer me" He stated, walking backward up the stairs.

"Miles, he's not real," I said, following him slowly up the staircase. I held my eyes on his gaze, his cocoa eyes meeting my hazel ones.

"You've seen him, that night in the bathroom, he-"

I cut the boy off, "No, I saw you, no man just you"

He shook his head in disbelief.

"Stop lying, Elizabeth" He grunted, reaching the corridor at the top of the staircase. I smirked at him.

"Lying? Why would I lie?"

I tilted my head slightly to the side as he continued to back up to his bedroom, reaching for the doorknob behind him as he thrust the door open.

"You think you're getting in my head, but you're not," He stated as I followed him into his bedroom, shutting the door behind myself. I watched him as he shifted towards the window, throwing it open.