Chapter 25 - Entrapped

Once I descended the stairs, I placed my foot on the concrete floor.

"Kate?" I raised my voice slightly, the sound waves reverberating off of the walls causing the fear to sink into my blood.

I heard a loud thud echo from down the narrow corridor, "She's down here," A disembodied voice barked.

I gulped, "Wha-" I was quickly cut off by a hand wrapping itself around my mouth.

I squealed, the sound being muffled under the hand. I grabbed it, but it vanished suddenly in my grasp.

I backed up, my back colliding with the cold stone wall behind me. I could hear footsteps approach my right, from where I could hear faint yelling. It sounded like Kate.

My eyes went wide in fear, "M-Miles?" I managed to stutter out, my voice beginning to shake with anxiety.

I could see him, his pale skin illuminating within the darkness. He was still holding a flashlight, "I've found Kate, now I've found you,"

He suddenly lunged himself at me, causing me to flinch and put my arms up to cover my face. He grabbed me by my forearms and pinned them against the wall, leaning his body close to mine to prevent me from moving further.

"He's coming for you," Miles whispered as Kate's yelling morphed into screams.

"No, no," I began, placing my hands over my ears.

I dropped to the floor as I felt Miles place a hand on my shoulder. I opened my eyes slowly, looking up at the boy, "Time to wake up, Elizabeth,"

"W-what?" I replied, confused by his statement.

"Wake," He began as I felt tears stick to my cheeks, "Up,"

"Miles, what are you saying? I'm awake," I replied, completely confused by what he was saying.

I stood to my feet, "What you're seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling," Miles started as he eyed me, waving his hand around and gestured to myself and the walls around us, "Isn't real, it's all in your head,"

I gawked at him, "No, no you're wrong," I replied, too afraid to accept the truth as it lay before and all around me.

He stepped closer to me. I pulled up my hand ready to push him away, but as I went to touch his sweater, my hand drifted right through him. I stood there in awe as I watched Miles turn to smoke before me.

I noticed Kate's screams were no longer within earshot as everything around me began fading into smoke and eventually dust...

---

My eyes shot open, revealing a bright light above me. I tried to sit upright, only to be thrown back down.

As soon as my pupils contracted, allowing me to see through the bright lights in the well-lit white room, I looked down at my body. I was laying in a square room on what appeared to be a hospital bed. I peered down at my body; I was wearing a green and white hospital gown. The sheets were also white, as were the pillows but felt itchy and uncomfortable, even through my gown.

I looked down at my wrists that had been bound to the bed, the restraints being like cuffs around both wrists and ankles. I noticed a band around my wrist, it read:

May Elizabeth Mandell

I frowned at the plastic band, diverting my gaze back to the cuffs that held my wrists bound to the rails on the bed. I began yanking on them, trying to get out of them.

Someone in the corridor outside of the door about ten feet ahead of me must've heard me struggling and knew I was awake as I heard the door unlock and a young man stride into the room.

"Woah, May," The man began as he approached me, "Calm down,"

I looked him up and down. Judging by the long white gown he was wearing, he appeared to be a doctor. He had dark brown hair, bright green eyes, and a very pale complexion. He had a sympathetic look in his eyes as he peered down at me, making eye contact before dragging over a stool and sitting down beside the hospital bed.

"May?" I questioned the doctor, "My name is Elizabeth,"

"I'm Dr. Alton Perry," He began as I eyed him, the fear in my eyes now visible, "Now, do you remember where you are?"

I looked around myself for a second, reconsidering my answer each time I thought of one. Where was I? Should I know?

"No, should I know?" I finally replied.

He shot me a worried expression, "You're registered here at Johns Hopkins Hospital, on the psychiatric ward," His eyes widened after he spoke and his brow arched slightly.

I gulped before finally working up the courage to speak, "W-what state?"

"Washington DC," He replied.

I looked away towards the bedsheets, trying my hardest to remember how I got here. I let a tear slip from my right eye as the doctor eyed me with a sad but worried expression.

"W-Washington? I'm over a 10-hour drive from home?" I replied, my voice cracking as I almost broke into a panic attack.

"Calm down, where is home to you?" He asked, wiping the tears from my cheek.

I frowned, darting my eyes to stare at him without movie my head to face him, "Maine,"

---

That all transpired ten years ago when I was a patient at John Hopkins Hospital in the psychiatric ward. Dr. Perry explained how I was schizophrenic and was framed for my parents and auntie's murder. I was only sixteen at the time and at home in Maine. My parents had been butchered in their own beds while sleeping, while my auntie Kate was poisoned a few days before. The guy walked in court and I went down for a life sentence, but due to my age and the state of my mental health, the judge decided to place me in a mental institution instead.

The people in my head, you've met them, right? Flora? Mrs. Grose? Quint? They are my other personalities who were just fighting for some time in the light. Peter Quint has the most dominant personality himself, he's always fighting me to be in control.

Dr. Perry explained how that vision I had when I was in Maine, at the Fairchild mansion, was simply my brain developing a safe haven for myself; a coping mechanism if you like. Other than the people, who I had imagined how they looked, none of it was real. Kate, however, was real alright, as were her screams when she was poisoned that chilly morning.

Now, I'm twenty-six years old and living in New York. I got out a couple of years early when they finally figured out that the guy they let walk was actually guilty after he went on a killing spree across America. They released me and allowed me to continue my life. I decided to start a new life in New York, away from Washington DC and my home in Maine.

A couple of weeks ago, I met this guy. I haven't told him I'm schizophrenic but I think he'll figure it out sooner or later. I think he's falling in love with me. Funny thing is, he looks almost identical to Miles Fairchild...

A/N -

Hey! So, the final chapter...How did you guys like the twist? Oh, and the entire story? :) I'm thinking of writing a sequel to this book, so comment if you would like me to.

Hope you guys have a better 2021 and stay safe!