Chapter 22 - Power

Kate strode into my room, dragging me in with her.

She spun around, facing me, "Pack a bag, quickly," Kate left the room in an instant, darting out of the door before Miles or I could respond.

As I went to step forward towards my bed, I felt a hand grasp my own, the soft skin having an all too familiar feeling on my own, "You're not leaving,"

I spun around to face Miles, glancing down at his hand which had made its way to my wrist, "I can leave, and I intend on doing so,"

I pulled away from his tight grasp and scurried over to the closet, grabbing a rucksack and beginning to stuff clothes into it. I could still feel a set of eyes on myself. Hating the feeling I decided to see if Miles was still standing in my room eyeing me.

However, as I spun around, my gaze did not meet anyone. Nobody was there.

I sighed, convincing myself it was just paranoia and anxiety.

I continued to pack my bag, shoving the majority of my clothes into it.

Just as I'd swung the bag over my shoulder, I spun around to meet the gaze of an older man. His eyes appeared as cold as ice, his hair in messy, greasy bundles dropping down to sit comfortably upon his shoulders.

He placed his hand roughly around my neck, lifting me off of the floor. I clawed at his hand, desperately attempting to breathe. I thrashed my legs in an attempt to boot the man before me, managing to hit him a couple of times in the chest before striking the treasure. 

"Quint?" I gasped, holding my bruising neck as he hit the wooden floor with a thud.

I swayed over to him, eyeing the middle-aged man who lay on the ground, not seeming to move.

Wait, I thought Quint was deceased?

"Quint?" I raised my voice a little, tapping his side with my converse shoe.

Before I could react, he'd grabbed my leg and shoved me down onto the bed behind me.

I didn't have time to scream as he'd covered my mouth, holding his heavyweight on top of myself. I began struggling under his weight, trying to move my legs but it was no use.

He pulled his lips close to my ear, "You leave, Miles and Flora die,"

He pulled out a small blade, holding it to my neck. He removed his hand from my mouth and instead, he placed it on my wrist beside my head. I had my other hand busy shoving at his shoulder, the knife digging deeper into my skin.

I winced at the pain, blood beginning to seep from the fresh-cut, "Leave them alone, Quint,"

He laughed lightly, "Miles told you my name, didn't he?"

"Why are you fixating on him?" I questioned, praying he'd leave Miles and Flora out of this.

"Because, you love him," Quint whispered, mockery in his voice.

My brow furrowed at his response. Unexpected, yes. True, no.

"I'm not in love with Miles Fairchild, no girl ever will be,"

Quint took umbrage to my "insult" towards his nephew, his fist clenching and meeting my left eye.

Wait, nephew?

My head was quickly back facing him, my eyes meeting his gaze once again, "You leave, they die,"

I snorted, "You wouldn't kill your own niece and nephew, you're just blackmailing me into staying,"

"Let's see what Kate will do then," Quint replied, leaping off of me and bounding towards the door.

"No!" I raised my voice, beating him to the exit and hitting the door with a soft thud.

I turned to face him, "What are you more afraid of? Losing someone close to you, or losing your sanity?"

I eyed him, "Neither,"

He chuckled, "Do you even know who I am?"

"You're the uncle, Miles' and Flora's father's brother,"

---

(A/N)

Sorry, just a filler chapter here.