8

''We would just post on that block every day. Need work? I can get you some yay'' - Sleepy Hallow

(Travis's outfit) ^

''What was it like out the first time after our meeting? Run me through the days.'' Sabrina said smiling waiting to take notes.

''I got picked up by my auntie, I don't really have contact with my family besides my sister and her kids. The first thing said to me was "Do you want to go back in for 3 months? I mean, you have to be in Trinidad anyways. Save 92K" " To hell with that. Nobody wanna go to prison unless they have to. I'm not going back in. Fuck that. I got the cash, I'm just going to pay the fine." It triggered me you know, showed me she just didn't care.'' Sabrina could tell he was getting vexed.

''I thought about the conversation for a while, I thought about the whole prison system and my parole situation. I'm good; I have money squirreled away for times like this; a rainy day fund. I have a car; it's not what it used to be but it's something. I have a place to stay, and resources at my disposal, and this is the important part, I have options for when this is over. I can weather this storm and come out no worse for wear. Matter of fact I might be better than before. Sometimes a loss can unexpectedly turn into a win. But how do normal people get through this? In my mind's eye, I can see how this plays out and it's disheartening; dude gets out of prison wanting to do good, but he has no support from the system, because of his record most likely has trouble finding a job, soon the money runs out and he goes back to the streets just to get by. Which increases his chances of getting caught and going back in. Chewed up and spit out by the system. There's always more work.'' He ranted, ''So I turned to the streets again, I have to feed my family somehow if I can't get a job init.''

''Hmm go on.'' Travis thought back, admittedly he could never live with his sister. She was too judgemental and didn't approve of the things he did. Living with her meant going through hell every day but eventually, he would get used to it. He just refused to.

''I lived at my grandma's house a little outside London, she's 78, I enjoy spending quality time with her because I know she doesn't have that many years left. Also, I think she has a wicked sense of humor and she always keeps it 100 with me.'' He chuckled, ''I proper love my grandma you know, she's the only one from my mum's side I get along with.''

''I like this you know,'' Sabrina got to know him more and more every day, he nodded his head. Of course, she liked it.

''What was your last day in there like? Run me through that day.''

''Ahhhh listen, that night I cooked up 10 bags of instant noodles, opened up 20 cans of peanut milk soup I had been saving, and somebody busted out some leftover dumplings from lunch and we had a feast. I also went around and asked if anybody needed me to do anything for them on the outside. My boy Lion told me, "2 of my kids' birthdays are in October. Can you buy some stuffed animals and send them to my kids." I bought them a pink panther and a big hero 6 plush. Lion's my age, 22, and has 2 kids from 2 different ex-wives. His 2nd ex-wife is pretty hot, she's also the one who visits him inside and is the mother of 1 of his children. I told him, "when you get out, you should marry the 2nd one again and be married 4 times to 3 different women. You'd win if you marry her." "What would I win?" "You'd win at life." People were telling me that it would be hard to sleep when you know you're getting released tomorrow, but I didn't have that problem. I wanted to get today over with because tomorrow is when I go home. I was tired from a long day of work and full from all the dumplings and instant noodles, I passed out quick.'' He chuckled, Sabrina nodded and took small notes here and there.

''So on the day...''

''Yeah, after breakfast, I started giving away all my stuff to the squad; my box, my medicines, clothes, cups, pens, sneakers, batteries, headphones, basically everything. The only things I took with me were: my notebooks, my sleeping pad; By 7:30 am I was all packed up and ready to go, the C.O. got to the factory at 8 am, at 8:15 am the head trustee told me to start packing my stuff up. I got my box of books out of storage and the trustees collected all my electronics and my prison ID badge. I had 50 cigarettes squirreled away for a rainy day, I handed out cigarettes to my row, and my squad. I was cigarette ballin'. I put on a white t-shirt, said my goodbyes and just waited. At 8:30 am I find out that a C.O. has been assaulted by 2 inmates. It happened in the waiting area as some inmates were preparing to be transported to the courthouse. I was wondering what was taking so long and it was that. There was a point where I wondered if my release would be pushed back to the afternoon. At 9:15 am a C.O. came and got me. The head trustee arranged a cart for me to put all my belongings on so I didn't have to carry it that far. I only got to push the cart as far as the central desk, I had to carry it the rest of the way.'' Travis said actually picturing the whole thing. He missed his boys on the inside but life goes on.