Chapter 4

"Thanks for being okay with me crashing here," stated Jay from his spot on the couch.

"Of course. You're my big brother," I smiled as I cooked before the doorbell rang, "There's Adam."

"I got it!"

Jay answered the door and let Adam in. He still didn't know about the two of us, so he made some lame excuse about wanting to check on Jay. Adam greeted me before helping me set the table.

"So you get to stay with your little sister for a week?" asked Adam.

"Yeah it was basically against my will," joked Jay.

"Oh shut it. The Doc said you needed to be on bed rest and even Will said it. You got stuck with me because Will isn't home enough," I reminded him.

"But you'll be gone for work"

"Voight gave me limited hours and the first two days off. You're stuck with me big brother."

"This is going to be an interesting week," chuckled Adam.

"Oh yeah."

I served them both dinner before getting some myself. It was nice for me to see Adam and Jay bonding, but it also sucked that I couldn't make out with my boyfriend in our own apartment for the next week. I joined the boys at the little dining room table, munching on lasagna.

"Does she always make amazing dinner when you're here?" Adam asked Jay.

"About half the time she does. Usually when I'm over after a rough shift we'll order take out," he answered.

"Don't let Jay fool you, he cooks for me sometimes."

"I remember when I came back from my second deployment after mom and everything. I moved in with Mikayla and she had this amazing home cooked meal for me. I think that will forever be the best meal I've ever had."

"I cooked all the time after that. That's when I was in college actually. Man those days felt forever long."

"Yeah, I didn't make that any easier. I spent about seven months doing nothing but drink, smoke, screw, fight..." sighed Jay, "but once I got my head on straight with the help of this one , I entered the police academy and graduated, then shortly after I got my own place."

"Yeah and then I was on my own," I spoke, thinking back on the past few years, "That feels like a whole other lifetime ago yet I remember it like yesterday."

"You remember when I came home from boot camp and found out about your first boyfriend?"

"Oh God. That was a disaster," I chuckled thinking back on it.

"What happened?" asked Adam.

"Well, I met the guy, you know, gave him the whole "don't hurt my sister" talk. And it went well. A few weeks later I saw Mikayla had gotten a black eye. She tried breaking up with him and he said no, then punched her," Jay explained, "She tried to hide it, but I pulled it out of her. I wanted to kill him."

"But I suggested against that. So instead he taught me self-defense, and so the next time he came at me..."

"She totally kicked his ass," Jay stated proudly.

"That was the only reasonable time he's scared off a boyfriend. Jay was the reason every guy in high school was afraid to come near me."

"Come on, Will was protective too."

"Yeah, but at that point Will was off at med school. Plus you and I have always been closer," I sighed, thinking about Will, "Life has put us through the ringer."

"Oh yeah."

After a night of reminiscing and story telling, Adam decided to head to home. I followed him to the door to see him out while Jay went to the guest room to change. I smiled up at Adam as he shot his boyish grin down at me.

"Hey. Thought you were going to leave without a good night kiss?" I teased.

"Well I didn't know with your brother out there..."

I pressed a kiss to his lips with a smile, "This is going to be a long ass week."

"You're telling me. You might have to stop by my apartment late one night," he smirked, hands resting on my hips.

"I just might," I grinned before giving him one last kiss, "Alright. I better get back before he's done getting ready."

"Okay. Love you."

"Love you too. Drive safe. Text me when you get home."

"Will do."

I went back inside and changed into sweats and a comfy shirt before heading back to the living room. Jay was on his phone, clearly waiting for me.

"What did ya pick?" I asked, plopping down beside him on the couch.

"Fast Five," he stated, attention back on the tv now.

"Sweet. I love that one."

"I know. I remember."

Growing up Jay and I were obsessed with the Fast and Furious franchise. We'd go see every new one in theaters together. As the movie began to play, I threw blankets over both of us and rested my head on Jay's shoulder. I had missed this.

***

The next day I dropped Jay off at his first therapy appointment before heading to the district. Of course as soon as I entered the bullpen, I was greeted by everyone.

"Hey. How's Jay doing?" Kim kindly asked.

"Good. He's starting to move around better. I just dropped him at his first therapy appointment. He's torn between loving that he's being waited on hand-n-foot, and hating that he can't do everything on his own. We argue every night about something stupid, but ultimately I win."

Adam flashed me a grin before walking off to get more coffee. I chatted with everyone for a little bit longer before heading back to pick up Jay. As we headed to lunch, I decided to ask him about his appointment.

"So, how was it? I know you weren't too into the idea."

"Good actually," he stated, "I thought it was going to be a waste of time, but it actually helped a bit. She wanted to start with talking about Dad and everything that happened with this case before we move into my PTSD. But I think this is actually going to help."

"I'm really glad to hear that. You know I'm always just wanting what's best for you, right? I love you and I'm glad you're getting the help you need."

"Thank you for pushing me to go. God knows I never would have went on my own. I owe it all to you little sister, even though you threatened me."

"Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girls gotta do."

"I love you, you know that?"

"I do."