Chapter 6

Once they declared I was fine, Natalie had me discharged. I moved to the waiting room, sitting by myself. The others were gone, still investigating the case. Obviously Adam and I's relationship was out. I knew Jay had to be pissed and Voight probably had questions. As if on que, Voight walked over and sat down next to me.

"How are you doing kid?"

"Fine. I'm just banged up. Maggie said Ruzek's still in surgery and there's no update so."

"Ruzek's a tough guy. He's going to pull through this," Hank assured me.

"Serg. I just want to get thos out there and over with. I know Adam and I broke your rule about in house relationships. So if there's some sort of repercutions for this, I understand."

"Look Mikayla, I couldn't give a damn about who you sleep with, but I care a whole lot about how my unit runs. If you and Adam are able to separate your home life and your work life, then go ahead. But if it starts to cause issues in house, we're going to have a problem."

"Thanks Hank," I smiled, "And I apologize in advance for the slight in house tension that will be caused by Jay finding out about this."

"That's the other reason I see no reason to punish you. Dealing with Jay finding out his punishment enought," Hank joked, making me laugh as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder, "Listen kid, you're a good cop and I'm glad your happy. Just don't let him get in the way of you doing your thing."

"I wont. Thanks Serg."

"Anytime. I'll be back later to check on Adam."

***

"Mik?" called Will, getting my attention.

I jumped up and hurried over to him. His face was expressionless which worried me. I took a deep breath, waiting for him to break the news.

"There was a lot of blood in Adam's belly. We had to do surgery to stop the bleeding and then evacuate the build up of blood from his body," explained Will, "It was touch and go for a while, but he did great".

"So he's okay?" I asked.

"He'll be on bed rest for a little while and be restricted a bit, but otherwise he's going to be just fine".

"Thank God" I sighed giving Will a quick hug, "Can I see him?"

"Of course. He was just starting to wake up when I left".

Will walked me down to Adam's room before giving us some privacy. I slipped in and sat down in the chair beside his bed. I held his hand which caused him to groan and turn his head.

"Hey baby" he croaked out in a dry voice.

"Adam Ruzek...you gave me a damn heart attack," I chuckled as I wiped away a few stray tears.

"Babe, I'm fine. Just in a little bit of pain," he smiled, "When you said duck, I thought you meant the bird."

"Very funny," I stated with a grin before deciding to tease him, "All this to get out of breakfast with my brothers? Isn't that a bit of an overkill?"

"Come here," he chuckled, moving slightly so I could lay beside him.

I carefully maneuvered around his wires and laid down beside him. He wrapped his arm around me while I curled up next to him, my head resting on his shoulder. His arms were my favorite place to be. And after this day, I'm relieved to be in them.

"So I guess our secret is out," Adam murmured against my forehead.

"I guess so," I sighed, "Jay hasn't stopped by or messaged me since. Upton said he seems upset. Voight stopped by though and we chatted."

"How'd that go?"

"Better than expected to be honest. He said he'll stop by later to check on you."

"You think Jay is going to come by?"

"I doubt it. He's completely avoiding me. Will seems to be okay with us though, so that's a win."

"Have they caught the guy yet?"

"Hailey just texted me that they got him. The bastard confessed."

"Good. The guy injured me, my girl, and outed my relationship. Upon being a murderer of course. But still."

We both laughed and Adam held me closer to him, if that was possible. Silence filled the room as we both just took in the moment.

"I love you," he murmured against my forehead before pressing a kiss to it.

"I love you too."

A few moments later there was a knock on the door. I opened my eyes to see Hank standing in the doorway with Upton. I separated myself from Adam, climbing out of the bed to greet them.

"Adam, how are you feeling?" asked Hank as he walked in.

"Not horrible. Just in pain."

"I'm going to take a walk with Upton and got something to drink. I'll be back," I informed Adam, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Okay. Love you."

"Love you too."

I stuffed my phone and my wallet in my pants pocket before walking out with Hailey. We casually strolled down the hallway, both staying silent. I decided I was just going to rip off the band aid.

"So, how pissed is he?" I asked, looking down at my feet.

"Pretty pissed. He keeps ranting about it. I don't think he's as mad at the fact that you're together as he is that you hid it from him. He's hurt Mikayla. So when you do talk to him, take it easy."

"Ugh I am not looking forward to this conversation. The question is, do I do it tonight or wait until tomorrow. I mean I did have breakfast plans with them, but I think that's cancelled now."

"If you're comfortable with it, I'd do it tonight. We both know your brother will stew on things if given the time."

"Ain't that the truth."

Meanwhile back in the hospital room, Hank and Ruzek were talking. After the basic conversation of how Adam was feeling and work crap, Voight brought up the whole relationship thing.

"And hey, regarding you and Mikayla, I don't know what your relationship status is and I honestly don't care. But I need to know someone's got her back 24 hours a day."

"Yeah. Always."