Chapter One

In middle school and freshman year of high school, Elizabeth Hernandez was a girl that had braces and acne all over her face. Before summer came she was accepted into the same writing camp that Monse got accepted in and didn't have to pay a thing except for the transportation. The school year ended and the class of 2018 was having a party to celebrate the end of high school so the crew went to look at the party. The crew went to hide behind the wall to watch the party as it progressed into the night until everyone decided that they wanted to get a beer so Cesar snuck into the party to get everybody beer.

Ruby, Monse, Elizabeth, and Jamal stood watching the scene unfold. The girls were looking for Cesar, Ruby was looking at the girls, while Jamal was freaking out over the football players that stood by the house.

"Do you see him?" Monse asked, crossing her arms.

"I don't see him," Elizabeth went on the tips of her toes to see if she could get a better look.

"Something bad is gonna happen. I can feel it," Jamal freaked out.

"Take a xanny, J," Ruby glanced at Jamal, "We just can't see him, 'cause he's being stealth,"

"Yeah," Monse agreed, "besides, when has Cesar ever let us down?"

"Fourth grade. Kickball tourney," Jamal looks at the group, "we lost,"

"That's because I picked the kid with no skills," the group turned, "and I would do it again. Loyalty trumps victory, compa,"

Elizabeth took the beer being offered to her, "got that right, salad,"

Cesar stood up behind the wall, "take it in, guys. This is about to be us. This is high school,"

The five took a sip of their beer and made a face of disgust, but continued drinking out of the can with the bitter-tasting liquid.

"Ruby," Monse said, "you think Mario is gonna marry Angelica?"

Ruby shrugged, "No idea. Mario tells me jack,"

"What about that time he said Angelica had a dangler?" Jamal chuckled as Ruby tried to shut Jamal up, "what? He said that,"

"In private!" Ruby exclaimed, "time and place, dude. Oh, guys, check out Huerita at 9 o'clock. Monse, Eli, if you were a girl-"

"We are," Monse interrupted.

"But if you were a girl like that, would you wear any underwear?" Ruby stared dreamily as Elizabeth turned to look at Ruby in disgust.

"Oh, my God. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die," Jamal said.

"Why are you gonna die, J?" Elizabeth asked Jamal.

"See those guys over there?" Jamal pointed towards the guys in football jerseys, "they play for the 'ridge. Did you know that last year alone a quorum of kids-"

"Died playing football?" Monse butt in, "you're stuck on repeat,"

"So don't play, sweets," Elizabeth chuckled.

"No choice," Jamal said, "Pops was a legend. It's a family tradition. I'm dead," Jamal jumped off the platform with Monse and Elizabeth.

"You're not dead," Monse said.

"Football spiral?" Cesar asked as he got down to help Jamal calm down, "Jamal, CTE is not in your future,"

"Guys, check out my game," Ruby turned, "Heurita gave me the nod,"

A bald guy popped up and grabbed Ruby's shoulder, "Eyeing my girl, cabron?"

"No, God, no. I'm not into blondes," Ruby tried to get out.