Chapter 5

Jamal and Elizabeth were in school together and saw Cesar so they went to him. However, Elizabeth saw the thin layer of sweat and stress in his body language.

"Wassup," Jamal said, "You look fried,"

"Couldn't sleep last night," Cesar grimaced.

"I'd seriously consider Tempur Pedic pillows. Changed my life," Jamal tried to be helpful, but took a look at Cesar, "or are we talkin' non-pillow issues?"

"Just some shit. It's nothing," Cesar shrugged.

"Is it drugs? You slinging? You stole a car?" Jamal kept guessing, "held up a store? Drug store? A corner store?"

"No store," Cesar scrunched his eyebrows together.

"Home invasion? Assault? Assault with a deadly weapon? Oh my God, they made you kill someone, didn't they?" Jamal said loudly, causing a guy to turn and stare at the three.

"Jamal!" Elizabeth yelled, "shut up,"

"I really hope it wasn't a white person,"

"I didn't kill anyone," Cesar took a pause, "I kissed Olivia,"

"What?" Jamal whisper-yelled, "you kissed Olivia?"

Cesar quickly shushed Jamal as Elizabeth facepalmed and thought about why Cesar would tell Jamal and risk his relationship with Monse. "Why tell Jamal that? He can't keep secrets,"

"I call bullshit. You kept the football secret for months now," Cesar narrowed his eyes at Jamal, "unless you all of a sudden developed glaucoma or become a pirate,"

"That's not funny. Piracy's a problem," Jamal pointed out.

"Salad, the only secrets he can keep is his own," Elizabeth held onto her backpack straps, "he has nine hours tops until he tells Ruby and everybody."

"With perfect conditions," Jamal interrupted, "if there are any extenuating circumstances then all bets are off. I can't be hungry or too full or too hot or too cold or feel physically cornered. What about Olivia? She lives with Ruby!"

"Olivia's cool! She's tight-lipped," Cesar whispered.

"You boned?" Elizabeth glared.

"I'm talking about the lips on her face," Cesar motioned to his own face.

"And we're in the middle of a freaking heat wave," Jamal freaked, "there's no way I can keep this in,"

"Fine. I'll handle it," Cesar pulled his phone out.

Jamal snatched Cesar's phone, "what are you doing? You don't deliver heartbreak via text! You have to do it in person," Jamal threw Cesar's phone to the ground, "ooh, you'll thank me later,"

Jamal ran, but Elizabeth stayed, "compa, why'd you do that?"

Cesar leaned down to pick his phone up only for Monse to appear, "hey, guys. Woah, you look not good,"

"I'll leave you two alone," Elizabeth patted Cesar on his back before making her way to her locker. She put in her combination, letting the locker open and taking out her books.

The day dragged on until after school when Monse came up to her and pulled her to go to Ruby's to hang out with Jasmine, Olivia, and herself.

"I got suckered in and so are you," Monse said.

 "What?" Elizabeth looked at her curly haired friend confused.

"Olivia got suckered into hangin' with Jasmine then Olivia suckered me. Now I'm suckering you," Monse glanced at Elizabeth.