Chapter 22

It was the next day when everyone was gathered around in Cesar's dining room and Oscar was telling them about his meeting with Cuchillos. He was coming towards the end when Cuchillos told him to set a meeting with 19th St until Jamal jumped out of his seat.

"Handled?" Jamal put his arms out, "what do you mean, handled? Handled could mean anything. Handle with care. Manhandled. Twitter handle,"

"Because Oscar is setting Cuchillos up with a twitter handle," Elizabeth chuckled.

"There are handlers that handle every-" Jamal got cut off.

"Enough!" Oscar raised his voice.

"Are you sure about this? We're talking about taking a life here," Monse asked.

"Or yours, mine, everyone's," Oscar said,

"And yet you work for her," Monse spat, but Elizabeth pinched her arm.

"'Worked,' Past tense. She's out of control. It's never been this bad before and it's all for nothing. Putting you kids in the middle of her crazy vendetta. Shit's messed up. And she doesn't give a damn. She doesn't give a shit about no one. Even those most loyal to her," Oscar looked at Cesar, "like our dad. Made him take the fall back in the day. But her time is up, she's taking a meeting she's not walking out of. You guys need to keep yourselves busy starting now. Go somewhere you'll be seen. A place with lots of cameras, like a mall," Oscar said,

Elizabeth and Jamal groaned, "I hate malls. People everywhere and touching. That's why I shop for everything online,"

"Dying industry," Jamal said.

"Wherever you are, use your phone," Oscar said, "just don't use it to call me. Especially you, Eli," Oscar stared pointedly at Elizabeth as she nodded, feeling anxious.

"How do we know when it's been handled?" Ruby asked.

Oscar grabbed his phone, "I'll hit up Cesar," Oscar left, but Elizabeth and Cesar followed Oscar out of the house.

Elizabeth sat in between his legs as Cesar sat next to Oscar. She ran her hand up and down his sock covered shin as a sign of comfort as he lit up his cigarette before caressing her cheek with his thumb.

"When were you going to tell what Cuchillos did to Ray?" Cesar asked.

"I only just found out myself. You really think I would have been loyal to Cuchillos if I knew all this time?" Oscar let out the smoke.

"I don't know what to think anymore," Cesar shook his head.

Oscar scowled, "what's that supposed to mean?"

"You threw me out. You've chosen the Santos over your own family before," Cesar said.

Oscar took a pause to take a drag from his cigarette and blow out the smoke, "for a long time, I didn't think I had a choice. But after shit didn't add up about Ray. I started asking around. Found out what really happened with him and the Santos. They turned on him. She turned on him. For no reason. Our family ain't sacrificing for her no more,"

Cesar nodded as he left to go back inside while Elizabeth stayed out with Oscar. Oscar stubbed out his cigarette and stayed silent so Elizabeth turned her body slightly to wrap her arms around him. The two stayed like that for a while until he got a call from Cuchillos.

It has been three days and there was nothing from Oscar so Elizabeth and Cesar started to panic and pace around Ruby's living room. Monse tried to calm them down to no avail.

"He would have called me or taken my calls," Cesar said.

Ruby and Jamal rushed into the house so Elizabeth turned to them, "well?"