Chapter 19

A lot of time has passed after explaining the whole situation to Jasmine as she set up the board to keep everything in track. Everyone was tired at this point.

"Anything I'm missing?" Jasmine asked before going over to her computer, but Elizabeth ignored her as she laid down across her friends and closed her eyes. She was shaken awake by Cesar who informed her that they were being kicked out so Elizabeth silently cheered as she got up and went with Cesar to go back to his place.

The two were laughing, but stopped as they came across a guy that looked suspicious so they crossed the street to get to the house. When they got inside, Cesar threw his stuff on the ground, "Hey! Hey! Hey! There's a dude posted up outside,"

Oscar stood up, grabbing a gun as he went outside with Cesar and Elizabeth following, "Hey! Get back inside!" Oscar pushed Cesar away as he cocked his gun and saw the dude, but stopped when he saw the guy.

"Oscar?" Cesar called out, "who is that?"

"Our father," Oscar spit out.

The trio went back inside with the father trailing behind, but Elizabeth pulled Oscar aside, "I thought you said your dad died?"

"He did. When he left," Oscar glared at the ground.

"Baby," Elizabeth sighed, "ok. Do you want me to leave? To let you guys chop it up?"

Oscar shot his head up, "no. I need an anchor so I don't bash his face in,"

Elizabeth held her hands up, "ok, ok, Rocky. Let's calm down," Elizabeth held Oscar's face, "I'll be here with you, but you gotta promise me to not punch your dad,"

Oscar nodded as the two went back out to the couch, Elizabeth sitting in between Cesar and Oscar. An awkward silence passed as their father hit the ash off of the cigarette in the cup Oscar had.

"So, when did you get out?" Cesar asked

"Yesterday," the father said.

"Uh...how was the trip down?" Cesar looked at his dad with a childlike look.

"Long," he said as he looked around, "looks the same. Even smells the same," the father sat down as Oscar pushed the ashtray towards him, but he put the ash in a cap, "you in school?" the father asked Cesar.

"Of course he is," Oscar spat out.

"How about you? Going to college?" he asked the oldest son.

Oscar scoffed, "seriously?"

A silence followed as Elizabeth grabbed a hold of Oscar's clenched fist.

"It's nice to see you," Cesar smiled, "do you have any plans?"

"No. Just wanted to see you guys before heading up to Bakersfield, got a job lined up" the guy said, "umm, may I ask who you are?"

Elizabeth blushed, "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm Elizabeth. Oscar's girlfriend and Cesar's best friend,"

Oscar cleared his throat, "Cesar, Elizabeth, both of you need to get to school,"

Cesar turned to say something, but saw Oscar's face so he didn't so he turned to his father, "I'll see you later. Come on, Elizabeth,"

Elizabeth grabbed her backpack before kissing Oscar's cheek and whispering in his ear, "don't bash his face in, por favor,"

Oscar nodded as Cesar turned back to his father, "do you maybe, uh...I don't know, wanna hang? After school?"

"Sure," the guy said.

"Cool," Cesar said before opening the door and Elizabeth followed suit, smiling politely at the father.

"So, where are you staying?" Oscar asked.

"Here,"

Oscar sniffed before clearing his throat and walking away to go outside and fix his car, but the space didn't last long until Raymond came, "yeah?" Oscar asked.

"Just looking," he said, "you painted her?"

"Yup," Oscar said.

"Are those the same rims?" an awkward silence passed, "you got the same full barrell 425!" Raymond chuckled, "remember when you were little? I used to let you sit on my lap and you would steer. You were really good too,"

Oscar slammed the hood closed and got closer to Raymond, "let's get something straight. You can come back here and pretend to be a father. But I know what's up. Cesar? He's been through a lot of shit lately. So I'll let him live under this delusion. For now," Oscar began walking away.

"Does Cesar hate me?" Raymond asked.

"He's never even talked about you," Oscar walked away.

It was after school and Elizabeth's shift at Dwayne's so she was there cleaning up after people and taking everyone's order. She saw Cesar and his father come in so she went up to the two and took out a pad.

"Hey, guys. What can I get y'all today?" Elizabeth smiled at the two men.

"Hey, Eli. Can we get my usual plus the special today?" Cesar asked.

"Sure thing, mano. What else?"

"That's it," Cesar smiled.

She brought the order to the cook and it only took a little bit until it was ready so she brought it over to the table as Dwayne came in. She didn't pay any mind to their conversation as she continued to work until she heard the bell ring and Jamal come in.

"Two hours late!" Dwayne called out.

"Why are you looking at me? What about him?" Jamal pointed at Cesar, "he's eating on the job,"

"Cesar isn't working. Now put on your uniform and get to work!" Dwayne said, Jamal grunted as he stormed into the closet room.

"Welp, Jamal is getting fired today," Elizabeth muttered as she continued working.